Done with 2010 elderberry harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im finally getting out tomorrow after work and Thursday cause I know with the high winds and heavy rain we will probably get from the Hurricane so I either have to get them now or not this year. So basically I wont be on here till late tomorrow nite and the next.

Good Luck and may the goo be with you ;-)

I picked about 22lbs today and processed a gallon bags worth and the rest is in the cellar for tomorrow.

I picked about 22lbs today and processed a gallon bags worth and the rest is in the cellar for tomorrow.

Is that 22# before or after processing? If after, that's quite a haul - you must not have to travel as much as I do to find them.

Just got finnished de-stemming my first pick.Berry quality is down this year,had a late freeze this spring.30 pounds processed.Now I got to get Sid drunk and forget how much this part sucks......Upper

I hit my 2010 goal of 54# yesterday. I'm done for the year.

Good as they are, they are way too much trouble - even using the screen.

I'll be able to do three 6 gallon batches with some SP to maximize the return.

BobF,

Any good areas to pick elderberries? I'm in Fenton, MO but my dad lives in Morgan County (Lake of the Ozarks)

Hello Elderfellows, I put a bunch of tips from different winemakers onto my elderberry winemking webpage. Its worth a read to learn how to pick and sort several different easy ways. We also use Lucs washing out the green and unripe berries in cold water to get much cleaner berries.

Crackedcork in WV

Hello Elderfellows, I put a bunch of tips from different winemakers onto my elderberry winemking webpage. Its worth a read to learn how to pick and sort several different easy ways. We also use Lucs washing out the green and unripe berries in cold water to get much cleaner berries.

Crackedcork in WV

I have to say Cracked, Your site is tops when it comes to elderberries. I managed 72 lbs this year. First year for picking. I'll be watdching for flowers next year a little closer.

BobF,

Any good areas to pick elderberries? I'm in Fenton, MO but my dad lives in Morgan County (Lake of the Ozarks)

Drive the county roads (gravel) in any county that has had rain this year. I've gone mainly below I-44 and have yet to fail to get a couple of large bags within a couple of hours.

They're EVERYWHERE!!! :)

handheld GPS, with markers with either an E (elderberry) or B (blackberry) is the best possible way to remember where they all are at. Not to mention that once you mark them they don't really go anywhere unless they get cut down by someone, so you will have them for years to come. I didn't start mine this year until late so I didn't have all the big E patches that I had seen earlier when in flower. I only ended up with 14 lbs total this year.

Drive the county roads (gravel) in any county that has had rain this year. I've gone mainly below I-44 and have yet to fail to get a couple of large bags within a couple of hours.

They're EVERYWHERE!!! :)
Are these elderberries? Cuz if they are I had them growing in my backyard... Lol

2010-10-17 16.39.12.jpg

2010-10-17 16.38.38.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. They looked alot like elderberries and just wanted to be sure. Thanks Wade

Actually they don't look at all like elderberries. I believe there is a pic of elderberries on here somewhere. Elderberries grow in a flat cluster not down a long stem

here's a good pic

APD8HF.jpg

That is gold growing on a stem! My second favorite to Black currant! I have about 18 lbs of this frozen in my cellar along with 18 lbs of Black Currant that botye need to get made.

Latest posts

Back