Done with 2010 elderberry harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
I hit my 2010 goal of 54# yesterday. I'm done for the year.

Good as they are, they are way too much trouble - even using the screen.

I'll be able to do three 6 gallon batches with some SP to maximize the return.

Sounds like a good harvest.

Yeah, I'm happy to have them, but it was 4 long days hunting, gathering, destemming, cleaning and bagging.

Hopefully I'll be able to drink some of what I have aging now while I'm harvesting next year. That *might* provide more incentive :)

Yeah, I'm happy to have them, but it was 4 long days hunting, gathering, destemming, cleaning and bagging.

Hopefully I'll be able to drink some of what I have aging now while I'm harvesting next year. That *might* provide more incentive :)

I have 9 gallons going now from my harvest. I still have about 40 lbs (2-6 gallon batches) in the freezer. I'm figuring on starting another batch in the spring then July will be time to pick again.

My goal was 120#. I was about to give up at 105#. Then opened a bottle of last year's. It was great. Will be picking again tomorrow and Wednesday and that's it.

I have 9 gallons going now from my harvest. I still have about 40 lbs (2-6 gallon batches) in the freezer. I'm figuring on starting another batch in the spring then July will be time to pick again.

Excellent haul ...

My goal was 120#. I was about to give up at 105#. Then opened a bottle of last year's. It was great. Will be picking again tomorrow and Wednesday and that's it.

You're a better man than me. I couldn't imagine spending double+ the time I've already spent hunkered over a bucket with a rack across the top.

I don't mind hunting and harvesting, but the rest is nothing short of obnoxious, IMO.

Having said *that*, I'm still moving ahead full steam on getting them established on my property. I planted 75 seedlings this past spring. They did VERY well thru June - that's when the drought started.

I'll plant more next spring and do something with the culls. Maybe plow up a patch and see what I can get to sprout.

*Maybe* with them close and cultivated, I'll be able to bucket-bang them into submission!! ;-)

Since you think you can bucket bang them into submission, might as well go for the gusto and train them to just jump in the bucket when they are ripe. Imagine walking out to harvest and ringing a bell and all the little ripe elderberries just jump off the stalk with no stem attached and into the bucket.

Since you think you can bucket bang them into submission, might as well go for the gusto and train them to just jump in the bucket when they are ripe. Imagine walking out to harvest and ringing a bell and all the little ripe elderberries just jump off the stalk with no stem attached and into the bucket.

Maybe they're bashful. I'll just put a few buckets around the patch and let them get in however they want to!

Wow, you people are mad! I havent even had a chance yet but this weekend is it hell or high water. I have a 3 day weekend and will go crazy all wine as I havent touched anything wine in about 1 1/2 - 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!! :sh

If you get them to do that,, I will buy some of the bushes off of ya.
LOL
I can find room for 3-6 elderberry bushes. . . I'm in! :)

It IS work doing the destemming, cleaning, and bagging. The last 2 years, it seemed to take forever! What's really nice is when the harvesting is done in your backyard.

We have about 9 bushes, 5 are still "kids"; the others have matured. Last year, I harvested 14 1/2 lbs. from the backyard. This year, though, we harvested just over 60 lbs. It's awesome!

Using the bang the bucket method this year, it worked on my elders for the most part. Had we known about the cooking grid, it would have cut down on the time some. During the week, my wife and would spend 1 1/2 to 3 hours on a weeknight, and did the harvesting, destemming, cleaning, and bagging. We (especially me) were exhausted, doing this after working all day, but. . . it was done!!!

This year, we were able to spend much less time processing more berries.

Jim

You're a better man than me. I couldn't imagine spending double+ the time I've already spent hunkered over a bucket with a rack across the top...

Missus Mud would argue most anyone else is the better man. I pick 5-10 gallons of screens each weekday and clean them in the evening after the kids go to bed. It's really rather obnoxious. Next year I'm skipping it for the sake of my marriage.

I can find room for 3-6 elderberry bushes. . . I'm in! :)

It IS work doing the destemming, cleaning, and bagging. The last 2 years, it seemed to take forever! What's really nice is when the harvesting is done in your backyard.

We have about 9 bushes, 5 are still "kids"; the others have matured. Last year, I harvested 14 1/2 lbs. from the backyard. This year, though, we harvested just over 60 lbs. It's awesome!

Using the bang the bucket method this year, it worked on my elders for the most part. Had we known about the cooking grid, it would have cut down on the time some. During the week, my wife and would spend 1 1/2 to 3 hours on a weeknight, and did the harvesting, destemming, cleaning, and bagging. We (especially me) were exhausted, doing this after working all day, but. . . it was done!!!

This year, we were able to spend much less time processing more berries.

Jim

60 lbs in your backyard!!!! Wow, that is great. We have them in our backyard but not that many, I'm hoping to get more as they age but in the meantime, we have then down our lane at camp. Picked 35 pounds.

Yes it is work but not anymore than canning potatoes, green bean, and making salsa. It is worth it.

60 lbs in your backyard!!!! Wow, that is great. We have them in our backyard but not that many, I'm hoping to get more as they age but in the meantime, we have then down our lane at camp. Picked 35 pounds.

Yes it is work but not anymore than canning potatoes, green bean, and making salsa. It is worth it.

I also canned breen beans and potatoes this year. I'll take canning over processing elderberries any day!

Missus Mud would argue most anyone else is the better man. I pick 5-10 gallons of screens each weekday and clean them in the evening after the kids go to bed. It's really rather obnoxious. Next year I'm skipping it for the sake of my marriage.

If I can spread out the processing in the future, it will be much more tolerable. As it stands now, I'm competing with other berry harvesters, so I have to get all I can get when we go.

I'm hoping that having my own will let me do a little at a time. The marathon sessions are terrible!

You gotta get 'em when they're available or else miss out. It's demanding, but what can you do? Mostly I was competing against birds and trying to not let the berries get over-ripe.

Using a piece of hardware cloth to strip berries sped up the process by about 65%. Today I cleaned 15# of berries in about 2.5 hours. And that was slow.

Did you see that thread, Bob? It's entitled something like "getting those little beggers off the stems". Should make next year much more bearable.

The one I harvast are at 5000 feetyin elevation,and 2 weeks late this year.About the week after labor day I suspect.Can't wait.......Upper

Im finally getting out tomorrow after work and Thursday cause I know with the high winds and heavy rain we will probably get from the Hurricane so I either have to get them now or not this year. So basically I wont be on here till late tomorrow nite and the next.

You gotta get 'em when they're available or else miss out. It's demanding, but what can you do? Mostly I was competing against birds and trying to not let the berries get over-ripe.

Using a piece of hardware cloth to strip berries sped up the process by about 65%. Today I cleaned 15# of berries in about 2.5 hours. And that was slow.

Did you see that thread, Bob? It's entitled something like "getting those little beggers off the stems". Should make next year much more bearable.

Yeah, I saw that thread - I started it! ;-)

Back