Dole 100% Juice types

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxfly

Reaction score
You guys ever try and make a batch from these 1/2 gallon boxed juice in the refridgerated section at the grocery store. I noticed these today at the store and read the ingredients, which were really all juice- some were mostly apple.

I also noticed the different flavors...Pineapple sounds really good. Pina colada is intesting also. Strawberry guava. So on and so forth, I have to believe if the recipe was good that these could turn out a nice medium bodied table wine.

I am wondering if they might turn out a bit thin because they are mixed and ready to drink right out of the box.

Any recipes guys, any one have any experience useing these juices ??

Steve

Faux, I have used the Dole Frozen Concentrate many times. It makes a great wine. I can't get the pina colada here or I would have tried it in a heartbeat!

I have made wine with the Orange/Peach/Mango, Pineapple/Orange/Banana, Pineapple/Orange/Strawberry, and a combination of them. They work excellent and I wouldn't think twice about recommending them to you. IMO they work very well.

I can also get the "Hawaii's Own" brand of frozen here and that to works great, and it too, comes in a varity of flavors.

If you go with the frozen, use 3 cans and add enough water TO MAKE a gallon. Then heat some of the must to dissolve the sugar in.

Try the Pina Colada for me! I am willing to bet it would make a great wine. I wish I could get it here.

Troy

I am very sure that with the right recipe these could make a very good wine, but have never used one.

Faux, this is the very first wine I ever made.

I used the Dole 100% frozen concentrate.

3 cans Pineapple
3 cans Orange/Strawberry/Banana
3 cans Orange/Peach/Mango

Added enough water to make 3 1/2 gallons

8 cups sugar(dissolved in warm must)
3 tsp Nutrient
Alittle less than 1/4 tsp K meta

Waited 12 hours.

Added 4 tsp Pectin E

SG 1.085 at 80F

I used Cuvee.

Knowing what I know now, I would use a ferment bag for sure, the pine and orange both have quite a bit of pulp, and the Pectin E does magic on it, but I would use a bag all the same.

I never tested for PH or anything, it was truly my rookie batch.

It turned out pretty well.

I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do, I don't remeber anyone else in here using the Dole brand except me.

I haven't done it but just pineapple would be great, no question about it.

Never used the pre mixed so I cant comment, but if your store is carrying the boxed, it is likely they have the frozen concentrate as well.

Troy

That sounds really good Troy

I can hardly remember my first batch of wine, It was a 25 gallon batch of fresh cranberries right out of the bog from I guy I did some electrical work for. All I said was I think making wine at home would be pretty cool. Hour later guy pulls up, unloads a 33 gallon Brute garbage can in my driveway and says "here's the recipe me and da ol lady use for da wine". I kind of floundered around for a day or so but I got going with a little help from some other cranberry growers who knew exactely what to do with this many berries. That was over ten years ago and I swear I still have half a dozen bottles in the basement. They are most likely turning to brandy by now. Ah memories!!

I was actually thinking I would try this Dole 100% juice stuff out. I was talking about the stuff you buy like orange juice... you just open and pour, its mixed and ready to go. Not the frozen in this case. I also have tried the frozen concentrate mixes and have had great success. When we have neighborhood get-togethers in the summer I always am asked for a bottle or two. It goes over pretty good. I like to look for the "off-the-wall" vints that no one ever heard of.

Hey Troy, How is the fresh fruit situaton in Fairbanks? Have you ever tried a fruit recipe? Does your community have a home brew shop?

I'll keep ya informed of my decision on which vint i pick, I like your recipe on the previous post...I may use it for this summer's vints for the neighborhood wing-dings.

P.S.

I read another of your posts the other day where you were talking about -33F overnight. I had -21 F on the truck the other morning on the way in to work. I feel yer pain bro, hang in there.

Steve

Fresh fruit here is damn expensive, one reason I have made mostly from frozen. I did get a good deal on Strawberries last year, and found some peaches for 1.28/lb. The quality is usually underripe. And it's just to darn expensive to use fresh fruit. I made 5 gallons of fresh oranges but didn't know to remove the pith, it was terrible bitter. The only batch I ever dumped. I have made cranberry a few times, we have the lowbush variety here.

$'s have been tough lately, but when things get better I will look into more fruit varieties. Last year I made some rose petal wine (from the rose hip bushes), it was outrageous, can't wait for spring to do that one again and a lot more of it.

A member in here sent me enough Elderberries for Christmas to make 5 gallons, will start that one in the next couple weeks.

But for now the frozen concentrates work well for me and at least I am able to get my "fix". And as mentioned there are some good quality concentrates out there. I try to keep the cost of juice/fruit to about $10/gallon plus sugar. So far it's been working okay.

When life returns to normal in a couple months I will look into these kits, welll actually, will just by the juice concentrate and go with that.

Col, it's -25 right now, willl be -30 or colder again in the morning. Not a serious cold snap but we have 3 or 4 days of this. Seen snaps that lasted for weeks, that gets old. So far we've been lucky, but it is inevitable we'll see the -40 or worse by the time February is over.

Troy

I grew up in Milwaukee, left when I was 13. But know it can get cold in that corner of the world. But not like this.

-20 doesn't seem so cold anymore? HUH? LOL

Troy

Frozen%20Cops.jpg

Any time the snow crunches under foot, its too cold. I have a buddy in the Milwaukee DOT, He was telling me the cold and snow and freezing rain lately are going to get his boat paid for early. With all the overtime needed for the free way pile ups and the pole knock downs.

If you havent been in Milwaukee for several years, it certainly is'nt the same town you left as a kid. There arn'nt many sections downtown which are really good any more.

I'm trying to convince this friend of mine to try his hand at winemaking...He's got what it takes.

We'll see if I can sell him on another hobby??

Steve

I haven't been back in over 5 yrs. That city scares the hell out of me! I read the paper online everyday and it is crazy sheet happens there. Been here over 30 yrs, so I am completely transformed. My Mom and her husband came to visit for the first time last summer, and I so didn't want them returning to that place.

Hey guys im a pretty new wine maker but im in Milwaukee. Its not that bad of a place however it has gotten worse lately. The areas that are "nice" are really nice but the "bad" areas, i wouldnt step into!

Hi cosmo, nice to see a fellow Milwaukean here. I will always have a place in my heart for Milwaukee, but I am afraid you can keep it. I feel fortunate to ended up in one of the few wild places left on the Earth.

Latest posts

Back