Doh! So much for that must!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigabyte

Reaction score
So, I was bored late last week and had a couple cans of frozen concord concentrate. I decided to make up a quick gallon batch. I used the Jack Keller Welch's recipe, decided to do it exactly as he showed it. One thing I should mention is that it calls for a fixed amount of Acid Blend. I have a TA testing kit and thought about using it, then thought, nah, I'll just go with the recipe as it is. So I measured everything as called for in the recipe.

After the must is ready, I go to give it a good sniff. I notice a sulfite smell, pretty strong really, almost smells like sanitizer.:sh Since I only added 1 Campden, I think back, and can not think of any way a lot of sulfite could be added. So I convinced myself I had simply oxygenated the must very well and the sulfite smell was coming from that one little Campden tablet.:sm

48 hours later I go to pitch the rehydrated yeast, and stir it in good. I still smell sulfite. At this point I'm really starting to wonder how it got in there. Maybe the concentrate was sulfited?:?

So, last night, an idea came up. I had my yeast nutrient in a ziploc bag with the label from the nutrient bag, and I had my K-meta in a bag the same way, with the label in there so I knew what it was. Was it possible I mixed them up? After looking closely, I remembered something. It wa a new bag of nutrient, and since it was open, that means I used nutrient, and not K-meta. Otherwise the nutrient would still be closed. So it was still a mystery.

This morning, the must is still quiet, no fermentation at all. While looking at it, I realize that maybe I used K-meta instead of Acid Blend. I also stored my Acid Blend in a ziploc bag, but without a label, it is written on the bag with a sharpie.

so I go to my supplies and look around for the acid blend. I can't find it. Then I remember I stuffed it in my TA kit last time I used it. I remember NOT opening my TA kit when I made this must, so I MUST have added K-meta instead of Acid Blend!:sh:sh That would be 2 tsp of K-meta to this 1-gallon of must, along with the campden tablet.:br

Well....I guess this won't be starting up any time soon!:rn

I'm going to stir it daily, see what happens. I guess I don't have to worry about it getting too oxygenated. I do have to wonder what the chances are of it coming out worth a darn.

Yeah - but at least it is only a gallon - so not a huge loss if it doesn't turn out right.

So, I was bored late last week and had a couple cans of frozen concord concentrate. I decided to make up a quick gallon batch. I used the Jack Keller Welch's recipe, decided to do it exactly as he showed it. One thing I should mention is that it calls for a fixed amount of Acid Blend. I have a TA testing kit and thought about using it, then thought, nah, I'll just go with the recipe as it is. So I measured everything as called for in the recipe.

After the must is ready, I go to give it a good sniff. I notice a sulfite smell, pretty strong really, almost smells like sanitizer.:sh Since I only added 1 Campden, I think back, and can not think of any way a lot of sulfite could be added. So I convinced myself I had simply oxygenated the must very well and the sulfite smell was coming from that one little Campden tablet.:sm

48 hours later I go to pitch the rehydrated yeast, and stir it in good. I still smell sulfite. At this point I'm really starting to wonder how it got in there. Maybe the concentrate was sulfited?:?

So, last night, an idea came up. I had my yeast nutrient in a ziploc bag with the label from the nutrient bag, and I had my K-meta in a bag the same way, with the label in there so I knew what it was. Was it possible I mixed them up? After looking closely, I remembered something. It wa a new bag of nutrient, and since it was open, that means I used nutrient, and not K-meta. Otherwise the nutrient would still be closed. So it was still a mystery.

This morning, the must is still quiet, no fermentation at all. While looking at it, I realize that maybe I used K-meta instead of Acid Blend. I also stored my Acid Blend in a ziploc bag, but without a label, it is written on the bag with a sharpie.

so I go to my supplies and look around for the acid blend. I can't find it. Then I remember I stuffed it in my TA kit last time I used it. I remember NOT opening my TA kit when I made this must, so I MUST have added K-meta instead of Acid Blend!:sh:sh That would be 2 tsp of K-meta to this 1-gallon of must, along with the campden tablet.:br

Well....I guess this won't be starting up any time soon!:rn

Me thinks a funeral is in order. just chalk it up as a oops!

I am not familiar with k-meta, but I assume that it is some form of meta-bi-sulfite.

You can easily salvage your must. I highly recomend a series of "splash rackings" over a couple of days. This should do the trick.

johnT.

I am not familiar with k-meta, but I assume that it is some form of meta-bi-sulfite.

You can easily salvage your must. I highly recomend a series of "splash rackings" over a couple of days. This should do the trick.

johnT.

Yeah - k-meta is Potassium Metabisulfite.

Latest posts

Back