Does yeast selection matter for aged reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInNJ

Reaction score
Merchants offer a dazzling array of yeast options with descriptions that make us want to try them all, even suggesting that we blend several for greater complexity. We are inclined buy into the marketing hype, sniffing and tasting throughout the process and convincing ourselves that we can perceive all those ephimeral notes of strawberries, hazelenuts and whatever, but after a year or two in the bottle does it really still make any difference?

Have you done side by side comparisons of split batches after a year or more? Could you tell a difference? Are there certain yeasts that stand out?

Or would it be better to choose yeast based solely on such boring parameters as alcohol and SO2 tolerance, H2S production, temperature range, fermentation speed, MLF compatibility, nutrient needs and the like?

Are there any clear winners in that category?

Thanks,
- Jim

I think if you are using exclusively EC1118 (as supplied in most kits) then there are definite advantages to going to a yeast designed for Reds such as RC212 or BM4x4. I notice a difference when switching out the EC1118 and really it is only included in kits because it is foolproof.

Whether I could taste the difference between BM4x4 and RC212 I am not so sure.

Not sure about 1 or 2 years down the road, but I made a Zin last spring put half on AMH and half on Rockpile, and it is pretty different. AMH is spicier and otherwise soft and mellow. The Rockpile is a little heavier structured feel with more fruit. Sorry for my lousy description, but they do taste different in the carboys.

I did do a side by side ferment about a year and a half (plus) ago (QA23 and D47), but it was on two Pinot Grigio juice buckets from Chile. In the case of my experiment, I can't really tell the difference between the two wines, though I'll admit I had been a bit heavy handed in an acid adjustment, and "unadjusted" one of the wines before bottling. Now that was a white, so I can't say whether that experiment would apply to a red wine. I guess you'll just have to try it, age it and report back on your findings. Of course if you need someone as a taste tester in a few years, just PM me and I'll give you my address!

I guess you'll just have to try it, age it and report back on your findings. Of course if you need someone as a taste tester in a few years, just PM me and I'll give you my address!

What if the test was BDX vs Clos on homegrown Cabernet Franc and Dornfelder?

I think if you are using exclusively EC1118 (as supplied in most kits) then there are definite advantages to going to a yeast designed for Reds such as RC212 or BM4x4. I notice a difference when switching out the EC1118 and really it is only included in kits because it is foolproof.

Whether I could taste the difference between BM4x4 and RC212 I am not so sure.
Years ago when I was dabbling with winemaking I used 1118 and D47 on whites and Pasteur Red on reds, and they all worked as advertised. Now there are all these interesting choices and I guess I'm mostly wondering how they compare to Pasteur Red or whatever they are calling it now. It was always fast, effective, cheep, available and made decent wine.

Last edited:
Not sure about 1 or 2 years down the road, but I made a Zin last spring put half on AMH and half on Rockpile, and it is pretty different. AMH is spicier and otherwise soft and mellow. The Rockpile is a little heavier structured feel with more fruit. Sorry for my lousy description, but they do taste different in the carboys.
Your descriptions work for me. Was the Zin from grapes? I would think the AMH would drive a longer maceration in that case, which could have a significant impact.

I've actually done many side by side comparisons of beer yeasts. Telling a lager from an English ale from a Belgian isn't that hard, but telling one lager from another, or one English ale from another... There are differences, but they are subtle, and they keep changing in the bottle over time. Eventually settled on a few favorites, but mostly based on reliability.

I finally planted a mini vineyard two years ago. Just enough Syrah, Cabernet Franc and Dornfelder to make a couple gallons of each. I might have close to a full crop this coming season, assuming the Syrah survives this winter. So here I am obsessing about one of the least important choices for next fall: yeast!

Lately I've been splitting all my batches and using different yeasts. I don't have the palate yet to determine how a newly fermented wine will turn out in the long run. So after fermentation I combine the two. I learned this from a professional winemaker. He said it will make a more complex wine. My last batch I used 4 yeasts.

Lately I've been splitting all my batches and using different yeasts. I don't have the palate yet to determine how a newly fermented wine will turn out in the long run. So after fermentation I combine the two. I learned this from a professional winemaker. He said it will make a more complex wine. My last batch I used 4 yeasts.
I'd like to do that, but set aside a couple bottles of each before blending, for evaluation after ageing.

Good idea, but my problem with that would be having the right sized carboys.
I've got 1/2,1,3 and 5 gallon handy, but my problem will be original batch size, since I only planted enough for maybe two gallons each of three varieties that ripen separately over several weeks.

What if the test was BDX vs Clos on homegrown Cabernet Franc and Dornfelder?
Oooh, I've used both yeasts and have made both wines from local grapes around here, sounds like a wonderful experiment (and a good tasting one at that)! Do you make a blend of the Cab Franc and Dornfelder or do them as single varietals? I've only made one batch of each as single varietals, but I could see blending a percentage of either into the other, especially since my Cab Franc was on the light side, as far as body and color go (the flavor is pretty good).

After reading your earlier post, I agree with the differences or lack thereof you note with different beer yeasts. I started first with beer (May 1990) and love to make the same ingredient batch with different yeasts (mostly English) and have settled on WLP007 for my "house" yeast. I like the way it hacks at the malt and lets the bitterness of the kettle hops come through, especially on a low gravity English bitter.

Last edited:
According to an article in winemaking Magazine, when making a particular wine ( I'm making Gewurztraminer) a particular strain should be used to develop the true taste of that wine. It lists D47 as the best choice for my Gewurztraminer. I'm going to see if I can find it.

Oooh, I've used both yeasts and have made both wines from local grapes around here, sounds like a wonderful experiment (and a good tasting one at that)! Do you make a blend of the Cab Franc and Dornfelder or do them as single varietals? I've only made one batch of each as single varietals, but I could see blending a percentage of either into the other, especially since my Cab Franc was on the light side, as far as body and color go (the flavor is pretty good).

After reading your earlier post, I agree with the differences or lack thereof you note with different beer yeasts. I started first with beer (May 1990) and love to make the same ingredient batch with different yeasts (mostly English) and have settled on WLP007 for my "house" yeast. I like the way it hacks at the malt and lets the bitterness of the kettle hops come through, especially on a low gravity English bitter.

In my previous searches regarding yeast for Dornfelder and Cab Franc I had stumbled across several of your posts. So when you chimed in on this thread I already knew something of your interests. LoL. I'm very interested in your lessons-learned vinifying Dornfelder.

2017 was the second year for my little vineyard, so I only allowed a very few clusters to ripen, and harvested enough grapes to make 1/2 gallon total as a field blend. Most of the Dornfelder was lost to bird damage before I got the netting up, and most of the rest of that was consumed as table grapes before the resulting sour rot could get it, however it did produce a bit of a second crop that went into the blend. Something like 65% Syrah, 30% Cabernet Franc, 5% Dornfelder. With a batch that small I can't afford much for tasting and lab work, so I'm somewhat flying in the dark, but still learning a lot... Like that bird netting is required, and that the shelf life of K-Meta is significantly shorter than 14 years. My plan for 2018 is to bottle the three varietals separately, plus a blend. I do not know if I will have enough to split batches and actually do any side by side comparisons of yeast. What are the practical limits on batch size, before issues like oxygen exposure overwhelm the experiment?

I also consider WLP007 my house ale yeast for both American and English styles. I find it very reliable, given solid temperature control and a healthy starter. Two things a beginner is unlikely to have. Which may be part of why US-05 / WLP001 / WY1056 is so often recommended -- the beer equivalent of EC-1118. I occasionally use WY1469 West Yorkshire for lower gravity ales, especially darker ones.

Last edited:
Yes, yeast does matter:

https://www.winesandvines.com/features/article/49782/How-Yeast-Affects-Wine-Flavors

But not necessarily of overriding importance. "A selected yeast can account for about 10% of the sensory definition of wine", from:

http://www.decanter.com/features/yeasts-do-you-know-whats-flavouring-your-wine-245861/

Far, far more important is the quality of the grapes themselves.
Those articles directly address my original question and provide considerable insight. Thanks!

Here is another that meshes with the two above:

https://www.winesandvines.com/colum...72280/Yeast-Terminology-Science-and-Marketing

Back