Does Wine Expand?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONJON

Junior
Reaction score
I know sounds like a dumb question. I made a batch of Shriaz in March and left it to go through Malo Fermentation. We are now coming into warmer weather in Melbourne and I noticed today the wine is touching the bottom of the ferm lock. It used to be at least an inch below? Am I going mad?

I know sounds like a dumb question. I made a batch of Shriaz in March and left it to go through Malo Fermentation. We are now coming into warmer weather in Melbourne and I noticed today the wine is touching the bottom of the ferm lock. It used to be at least an inch below? Am I going mad?
Yes, practically everything expands as it heats up. Liquids tend to expand more than solid materials, but there may be some exceptions. You are not mad my friend!

Thank god I'm not losing it! It's insane the temp has only gone up a few degrees. And bubbles starting to form around the top.

The volumetric expansion coefficent of water (close enough to wine for our purposes) is about 0.0002 per degree C. So if you have a 23 l vessel, and the wine increases in temperature by 5ºC, the wine will expand by (23 l)*(0.0002 1/ºC)*(5ºC)=0.023 l = 23 ml (or cc). In the neck of a carboy, that is noticeable!

The volumetric expansion coefficent of water (close enough to wine for our purposes) is about 0.0002 per degree C. So if you have a 23 l vessel, and the wine increases in temperature by 5ºC, the wine will expand by (23 l)*(0.0002 1/ºC)*(5ºC)=0.023 l = 23 ml (or cc). In the neck of a carboy, that is noticeable!
👍 You're on fire tonight! No point leaving it up to interpretation 😂.

Are you home yet? We're missing you over in 'What's for dinner?'

Not really Bangers and Mash but a very similar recipe I came up with on my own long before I ever heard of that British dish. Plain old breakfast sausages in gravy over mashed potatoes. I used onion gravy this time, but I usually use plain brown gravy most of the time. Probably heresy to the Brits!
Wife is away visiting her sister for a couple of weeks, so I'm enjoying feasting on all my favorites.

1675896716631.png
A bowl of homemade custard for dessert.

1675896793642.png

Latest posts

Back