Does this vintage bottle capper work as a corker?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpletongue

Reaction score
Anyone know if one of these vintage bottle cappers also works as a wine corker?

capper.jpg

This video shows an old capper working as both but its build is a little different:

Cheers,

to work as a corker the cork needs to be squeezed smaller than the bottle mouth so that once released it is tight against the bottle. this capper doesn't seem to be equipped with a squeezer.

to work as a corker the cork needs to be squeezed smaller than the bottle mouth so that once released it is tight against the bottle. this capper doesn't seem to be equipped with a squeezer.
I think I'll skip getting it then. Thanks for your feedback!

mines much older then that one, and nope. that you fit a crown cap on a bottle, a corker tends to compress your cork then shove it in ,
Ah I see. I almost want to get it in case I get into doing beer. It's built like a tank out of iron by the looks of it. But I bet it's super big and awkward to store, can't really justify getting it. If I lived in a big farm with lots of room I'd buy it and put it in my work shed next to the anvil on the workbench.

Anyone know if one of these vintage bottle cappers also works as a wine corker?

View attachment 68452

This video shows an old capper working as both but its build is a little different:

Cheers,

Any of the vintage cappers should work for bottling with a number 7 cork for short-term storage. Meaning, not years. They don't compress the cork, so it has to be one that goes into the bottles relatively easily.
Neat video BTW, I want one of those Everedy cappers for show. They were made near here, I have several items from that factory.

Ah I see. I almost want to get it in case I get into doing beer. It's built like a tank out of iron by the looks of it. But I bet it's super big and awkward to store, can't really justify getting it. If I lived in a big farm with lots of room I'd buy it and put it in my work shed next to the anvil on the workbench.
yes that is built to last forever,,,
yeah like me the more room, the more stuff, it'd probably take me a year to find mine lol,,,
although a couple weeks ago i found my early 1800's traders peace pipe axe, when i go my family is going to freak out lol
Dawg,,,

yes that is built to last forever,,,
yeah like me the more room, the more stuff, it'd probably take me a year to find mine lol,,,
although a couple weeks ago i found my early 1800's traders peace pipe axe, when i go my family is going to freak out lol
Dawg,,,
pics of your axe?

Any of the vintage cappers should work for bottling with a number 7 cork for short-term storage. Meaning, not years. They don't compress the cork, so it has to be one that goes into the bottles relatively easily.
Neat video BTW, I want one of those Everedy cappers for show. They were made near here, I have several items from that factory.
B/c I'm using reclaimed bottles that are screw top, I don't think it's a good idea to mess with this as a corker. Thx for your feedback.

Dawg,,,

pics of your axe?

Is this your original axe, that is so old that the handle had to be replaced a couple of times, and by then, the head was so worn out that you had to replace that, too? :)

So your axe is made of peace pipe wood? Or it's an axe that was traded for a peace pipe?
no it's head is cast iron, with a smoking bowl one side and a small axe head on the other, the Hudson co, and many others traded these,,, the handle was wood with a small hole drilled thru it, you could 'of smoked tobacco or sage, even the good stuff, lol...
Dawg

no it's head is cast iron, with a smoking bowl one side and a small axe head on the other, the Hudson co, and many others traded these,,, the handle was wood with a small hole drilled thru it, you could 'of smoked tobacco or sage, even the good stuff, lol...
Dawg
Lol, that's amazing. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Makes sense. That's a multi-functional axe for sure.

Ah I see. I almost want to get it in case I get into doing beer.
If you decide to sparkle a wine, a crown capper is necessary. Champagne bottles are cappable, although some are a size that is non-standard in the USA.

I'd tried sparkling a wine using the Méthode Champenoise, but didn't have success. My son purchased drops that carbonate a beverage -- we'll see if those work, and if so, I may try that.

Back