Does this vintage bottle capper work as a corker?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son purchased drops that carbonate a beverage -- we'll see if those work, and if so, I may try that.
I tried the carb drops, though I did not re-inoculate with yeast so no carbonation. The carb drops don't work too well for me in beer either.

I bottled a stable chardonnay in 22 oz beer bottles with one or two carb drops in the bottle. Nada. To carb with the drops (sugar drops) there needs to be a little bit of yeast so I should have known it wouldn't work. Oh well. No harm done.

sorry i was late with the pic's,
spent the day with horses and mules, came in fell asleep. getting old,, :h 🤫
finally up, and sent, today was warm, i was watching for copper heads, I'd of haunted yawl forever, lol
Dawg
That's not late. You're thinking in modern digital forum time. Thx for the pics. Is that wrench to adjust a nut on a battle tank? I'm guessing that small axe head is the peace axe head?

I bottled a stable chardonnay in 22 oz beer bottles with one or two carb drops in the bottle. Nada. To carb with the drops (sugar drops) there needs to be a little bit of yeast so I should have known it wouldn't work. Oh well. No harm done.
What's wrong with priming with some type of sugar as is done with beer and cider? Usually recipes don't include adding extra yeast no?

That's not late. You're thinking in modern digital forum time. Thx for the pics. Is that wrench to adjust a nut on a battle tank? I'm guessing that small axe head is the peace axe head?
yes that small axe/pipe was valued by native Americans, as for that wrench it is a adjustment wrench for a grist mill.
Dawg

Purpletounge, newly fermented beer and cider have a little residual yeast that will feed on the priming sugar to carbonate. A totally dry beer, cider or wine may not have any living yeast to multiply and produce co2. I’ve had beer not carbonate even though I added priming sugar. To make a foolproof sparkling wine, you need to inoculate with champagne yeast and sugar to create a small bottle fermentation.

I normally do 2 stage fermentation with beer, letting it settle in the carboy for 2 to 8 weeks before bottling, as this produces a LOT less sediment in the bottle. I've never had a problem with carbonation, although it's entirely possible I've simply had good fortune on my side.

I tried sparkling a gallon each of apple and Seyval using a transfer method, and got very little sparkle out of either. I chalked it up to the transfer method simply not working well, or I didn't have the bottles chilled enough. It may be that the fermentation didn't restart, although neither wine tasted of residual sugar. Since those failures I haven't tried again, but I may do so -- especially if I add fresh yeast prior to bottling and use dry ice to freeze the necks (I used plain ice).

Latest posts

Back