Does this look right?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the foamy portion of fermentation is done it will work. ,,, You do not want foam in the air lock, and, ,, The level you are at is where I put the carboy after the primary fermentor.
If it gets close to the air lock I would pull a cup or so out to give more head space and then add it back after things slow down.
You can slow it down by reducing the temp
In the future check for low foaming yeast, I have seen that type of foam using SafAle beer yeast.

Last edited:
Yeast needs oxygen to multiply during the early stages of fermentation. For that reason, the recommendation is to ferment in a food grade bucket with towel over the stop to keep stuff out. Stir daily to submerge any cap that may form.

Fermentation works in a closed container, but it's slower and can be messier. It's important to get fermentation off to a good start, as commercial yeasts inhibit wild yeasts and other critters that may produce off flavors.

The general process is to ferment in an open container until the SG is between 1.020 and "done", then rack and put under airlock.

If the fermentation is not complete leave an extra several inches of space at the top of each secondary container to allow for foaming while avoiding gunking up the airlock. I wait 7 to 14 days, until fermentation is complete and the gross lees has started to settle (layer gets thicker, then compacts and thins), before the 2nd racking. At this point you want minimal airspace.

During fermentation - air is good.
After fermentation - air is bad.

Most 6 gallon carboys hold a actual 6.5 gallons of liquid. When that wine is done Id get a gallon jug and fill it with water and mark it 6 gallon with a black permanent marker. I use buckets for fermenting and my 6 gallon carboys for secondary. You get a grape pack with a batch of wine it’s not going to fit in that carboy.

My last winemaking venture was the first time the wine I have tried to make turned out to my satisfaction. This because I followed the above directions. I aged just 5 weeks in a gallon jug and bottled it yesterday. The only problem I have had is keeping the cork all the way down on a screw-top bottle. I have some larger corks coming, hopefully that will solve the screw top problem. Yes? No?

The only problem I have had is keeping the cork all the way down on a screw-top bottle. I have some larger corks coming, hopefully that will solve the screw top problem. Yes? No?
NEVER USE CORKS ON A SCREWTOP BOTTLE - the tops are thinner than a cork finish bottle and may shatter when uncorking (my fermenter mentor buddy found that out in person).

I bought these to use on screw top bottles and they fit most of the 750 ml bottles I have:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZFZT8SQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
The only thing is I haven't figured out a way to get the plastic off the neck of the bottle, but so far I've just been re-using the caps and haven't seen any leakage so it hasn't been a problem for the plastic to remain on the neck. I just nag my friends and family to save the caps, too, and return them with the bottles!

I'm guessing this is in primary? It will be much less messy to do this part of the fermentation in an open food grade bucket then rack to carboy .
Yes. Primary. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know you can ferment in an open food grade bucket! I'll do that.

Follow up question - should I add more yeast when I move it to a bucket, since much of the yeast foamed into the neck of the fermenter? If so, how much?

the suggested tops by @Jovimaple are for screw top Stelvin bottles these have a different screw finish than some other screw tops offered by other suppliers. wine sold with screw tops are the Stelviin type than can be recycled using these tops.

the suggested tops by @Jovimaple are for screw top Stelvin bottles these have a different screw finish than some other screw tops offered by other suppliers. wine sold with screw tops are the Stelviin type than can be recycled using these tops.
That's what I am doing - reusing wine bottles sold at wineries and stores, and these fit most of the bottles.

Yes. Primary. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know you can ferment in an open food grade bucket! I'll do that.

Follow up question - should I add more yeast when I move it to a bucket, since much of the yeast foamed into the neck of the fermenter? If so, how much?
take a few minutes or days and do some browsing of old posts in every corner of this website, there is so much valuable information and answers to questions you dont even have yet, plus there is always someone willing to answer any question you can think of.

NEVER USE CORKS ON A SCREWTOP BOTTLE - the tops are thinner than a cork finish bottle and may shatter when uncorking (my fermenter mentor buddy found that out in person).

I bought these to use on screw top bottles and they fit most of the 750 ml bottles I have:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZFZT8SQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
The only thing is I haven't figured out a way to get the plastic off the neck of the bottle, but so far I've just been re-using the caps and haven't seen any leakage so it hasn't been a problem for the plastic to remain on the neck. I just nag my friends and family to save the caps, too, and return them with the bottles!
Thanks for that heads up!!

Latest posts

Back