Does it matter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
After reading several post on stabilizing, it seems like you let the wine clear first. Is it okay to stabilize when you rack from the secondary after the wine has gone dry and doesn't move for 3 days. I usually rack from the secondary on top of k-meta and sorbate and watch for fermentation as it settles out, then rack and back sweeten. Please correct me if I am doing something wrong.
Semper Fi

With 15 + kits and 5 batches of DB I've done it basically as you've posted. Difference is that I back sweeten between the Stabilization phase/step (i.e. add sorbate stir, add k-meta stir(after rack from secondary) and before adding the clearing agents. The stabilizing, degas stirring, back sweetening, if I'm going to do it, and stirring in clearing agents and second degas stirring are done within minutes of each other and in that order.

We let it clear first, otherwise you run the risk of the yeast binding up the KM, sorbate is meant to stop a few yeasts from dividing like in a clear wine vs trying to stop a whole bunch in a cloudy wine. WVMJ

suggest rack from primary into secondary once fermentation stops. sg=1.00 or less. rack again in three days add k-meta and clarifiers. rack at three weeks add k-meta. wine could be clear at this time. wait another month before doing anything else. if red wine wait three months then rack again. bulk age as desired.

I do as WVJack does.

Run dry, clear it, then sorbate(if needed).

Back