Does headroom matter in Fermentation stage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigandy

Junior
Reaction score
Can I ferment a 3 gallon batch in a 7 gallon mash bucket? I will then transfer to a 3 gallon carboy once fermentation is done

I forgot my manners - Welcome to WMT!
This is a great place to learn about wine making and many people are happy to help. And there are NO stupid questions - we were all clueless at one time.
i'm sure ill have some more stupid questions soon, as i'm starting my first ever batch in a few days

There are no stupid questions. This is the most friendly forum I've ever belonged to. Winemaking is not something you learn in high school so you will be forgiven everything (almost everything?)

Headspace does not matter in the primary container. Lots of wiggle room in the secondary container. Becomes critical in bulk.
When does secondary become bulk. Correct me if I am wrong but I consider bulk when I transfer to a carboy with a SG in the range of .995 or lower.

When does secondary become bulk. Correct me if I am wrong but I consider bulk when I transfer to a carboy with a SG in the range of .995 or lower.
I consider it bulk aging when I've racked off the lees and have no intention or racking again for 3 to 12 months.

bulk aging = ignore the wine and find other things to occupy my spare time

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back