Does back sweetening moderate after adding?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcC

Escaping the prison of past and future with wine.
Reaction score
I overshot my calculation for adding some sugar, but just by a bit. Will the overall sweetness disperse over time? A sample of the wine I added sugar to seemed a tad too sweet initially, but after sitting for 2 weeks seems better. Looking for collective experience, perceptions, and observations. Thanks.

On a number basis, I would not expect that the gravity on a shelf stable wine to change.

Sweet taste will depend on what was eaten prior to the sample. If you stage high sugar foods this over sweet one could feel proper. Another trick could be to sprinkle acid blend in the glass to balance the sweetness feel. ,,, If you are close to optimum you are good enough! I have seen that a bench trial will have different “best” taste if you resample several times over a 24 hour period.
Sweet is a personal preference, many folks in the vinters club will pick a best balanced which is dryer than my wife or kids would.

Latest posts

Back