Does anyone feed their leftover mash/fruit to chickens?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerngal

Reaction score
Just wondering about this. My chickens are free range and every so often I let them into my compost, which is where my wine making leftovers currently go.
I also have 5 apple trees and they go to town on the fallen apples; some of which I know to be fermenting (drunken birds šŸ˜‚).
So I was wondering, does anyone do this? I would think the alcohol would be a negative factor. I do feed them my left over grain from beer brewing but that hasnā€™t fermented yet.

* industry uses spent grain as animal feed, it is more of a question of how to practically accomplish it since we have to find farmers willing to deal with it on an as needed basis.
* there are some anthro papers about drunken monkeys as well as the occasional story of drunken grackles cleaning off a tree, it isnā€™t really harmful in the levels found in nature, it is a good calorie source. Practically speaking it has more safety risk due to predation of drunks.
* the neighbors have chickens and occasionally they get fermentation pulp
C1864FAA-7A86-4C1A-B829-234E69AC798F.jpeg ā€œSNOW BIRDSā€
be fermenting (drunken birds šŸ˜‚). So I was wondering, does anyone do this? I would think the alcohol would be a negative factor. I do feed them my left over grain from beer brewing but that hasnā€™t fermented yet.

* industry uses spent grain as animal feed, it is more of a question of how to practically accomplish it since we have to find farmers willing to deal with it on an as needed basis.
* there are some anthro papers about drunken monkeys as well as the occasional story of drunken grackles cleaning off a tree, it isnā€™t really harmful in the levels found in nature, it is a good calorie source. Practically speaking it has more safety risk due to predation of drunks.
* the neighbors have chickens and occasionally they get fermentation pulp
View attachment 70252 ā€œSNOW BIRDSā€
yes i tried leftover corn from food prosing plants, the hogs grew well on it but every baby pig born from a omma feeding that corn would die in 3 days max, i had a very good vet come out, i forget what the removed from the corn, but what was left burned out the baby pigs kidneys out, and was told after long enough it would do the same to my breeders,
Dawg

I dump grape and fruit pressings to the sheep, trail horses, chickens and cows, when I had them. They work through them over the course of the harvest season without any apparent issues. The rest of the year they have hay, pasture grass and grain, so this is a treat I guess.

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are getting adequate nutrition as well. They do need a good level protien.

Latest posts

Back