Does aging tame tartness?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEEDTUCKER

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie here.
I have a batch of blackberry wine that is measuring 3.7ph after fermentation and is clear. It is about four weeks old and currently sitting on oak chips. I tasted it throughout the processes and this morning. it is still very tart and i was wondering if time in the bottle would tame the tartness. I really dont want to lower the ph since I am told that 3.7 is a good ph to keep wine at.
Any input would be great.
thanks

Back sweetening it will make it very palatable. 3.7PH is about where you want to be.

3.7 pH is to high (weak acid). It should be between 3.3 & 3.5. Are you sure that its tartness, Maybe its bottle shock. If its bottle shock, give it 2 weeks,if it is tart, sugar should help. If it is harshness, time may help. I'm sure you'll get lots of help here.

Last edited:
Like the other guys said, at 3.7, the pH is not the cause of tartness. That is borderline high. The tartness may come from an excess of malic acid in the blackberry- high TA. TA and pH both measure acid- one is a logarithmic rating of HOW acid (pH) and the other is a linear rating of TOTAL acid (TA) or tartaric acid.

Sweetening will help with the tartness and won't change the pH or TA, but if you do, be sure you have added proper k-meta and k-sorbate or it will likely cause a refermentation and become tart again and gassy.

cool...i also have a red zin that is still young and it also taste a little tart and since i am new at this...i was just wondering if time would help mellow out the tartness of the wines....i have been following the recipes to a "T" and was wondering if tartness was normal on a very young wine that is still in bulk storage.

I suggest giving it a few months in bulk storage and trying it again. What you consider to be tart may just be a young wine. It could also be that they aren't completely degassed. A few months in a carboy will help both of these issues.

I suggest giving it a few months in bulk storage and trying it again. What you consider to be tart may just be a young wine. It could also be that they aren't completely degassed. A few months in a carboy will help both of these issues.

I agree with TheTooth...let it sit in the carboy for a bit before bottling..also, even my tarty wines tasted amazing after aging in-bottle about 6 months-1 year.

I agree with many posts here. Grapeman is right on the money as usual with PH and the Tooth is right on the money with saying to give it more time which a few others stated also.

jeez...i am a past beer brewer...and am currently learning the story of wine.......patience, patience....it is difficult but i am getting there....thanks for all the info.

jeez...i am a past beer brewer...and am currently learning the story of wine.......patience, patience....it is difficult but i am getting there....thanks for all the info.

I hear you. I brew beer as well and making wine/mead requires a LOT of patience. For that reason, I personally think winemaking is harder than brewing. Sure, you don't have to use as much equipment for mashing, boiling, chilling, etc... but it takes so much longer before you get to enjoy/critique your results.

Latest posts

Back