DOB on label?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
anyone put the DOB of their vino (yeast pitch date) on their labels?

Cheers!

I think it makes sense to use the yeast pitch date. That would be same as the vintage year if you were harvesting the fruit and fermenting it right away. But if it is in my freezer for 6 months, then it would be the following year.

I don't use the bottling date because the amount of time spent in bulk aging varies from batch to batch. It makes more sense to me to know how old the wine is from the start date. Total aging time runs from the end of fermentation until the bottle is opened.

I don't have one to show, but an example of my simple labels would be this format, on an Avery 8160 (1" x 2 5/8") mailing label:

Cabernet Sauvignon
RJS En Primier, Black Currants
PY 8/21, BA 9/21 BTL 10/22

Note: PY is "pitched yeast", BA is "date into Bulk Aging" and BTL is "date bottled."

This gives me all the information that I need to identify what is in the bottle. I only generate special labels for special occasions, or I use labels that come with the juice.

Last edited:
I think it makes sense to use the yeast pitch date.
Agreed, although I'm thinking of adding the must start date to my labels. For me there is typically 1 day difference between start and pitch, so it makes no real difference. My reasoning is that I'll habitually look at the first date in my notes, and use that, just for consistency.

I'm over-zealous about label accuracy -- but honestly, it makes no difference if the label reads 22 August or 25 August as the bottling date. Just me being me. 🤣

I use batch code and bottling date. Batch code format changed from just a number to YYB##. Ex: 22B13. Batch code is tracked in my wine log along with all other details.
Years ago I made a lot of beer, and borrowed a grocery store tagger, which I used to put a small label on the caps. IIRC, I used codes like 85-13, for 1985, batch 13. I put labels on the caps so I wouldn't have to scrape them off the bottles.

Years ago I made a lot of beer, and borrowed a grocery store tagger, which I used to put a small label on the caps. IIRC, I used codes like 85-13, for 1985, batch 13. I put labels on the caps so I wouldn't have to scrape them off the bottles.
That's what I do for hard cider, except that I write on the caps with a sharpie. It's very convenient to open the box and see immediately what is in each bottle.

Back