Do you really filter bid reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not filter the big reds. I see no reason for it because you will not wee a difference. I di rack 3 or 4 times though. I filter all my whites.

Why whites and not also reds? [Not challenging, just trying to learn.]

Thanks...

BKisel, if you can't see light through a glass of big red, what is polishing it by filtering going to accomplish.

BKisel, if you can't see light through a glass of big red, what is polishing it by filtering going to accomplish.

I agree but as long as you have no sediment in the wine because it will deposit to the bottom and will be seen.

Note that I said that I rack 3 or 4 times. The last before bottling when any remaining sediment has packed itself at the bottom of the carboy after bulk aging for 6 months with that date starting after degassing is done and bentonite added.

No. After 6 months it has pretty much cleared itself. BTW, I live in Costa Rica where there are no grapes or kits sold. I use imported bulk Italian cab sauv and sauv blanc. I usually do a mango each year also.

For years I believed that if I had enough patience, the reds would not need filtering. I filtered my whites, naturally, for that final, polished look.

After a few nicely-aged bottles had "too much" sediment for my wine drinkers' liking, I realized I was doing myself a disservice, and I filter my big reds with #2 pads now...

Of course, I also filter all my non-grape wines.

I have used a variety of filter sizes of cartridge filters (>95% efficiency) and one absolute (.45). I will tell you, the efficiency makes a big difference. At .45 nominal, I can taste the difference. It will take out light hazes and polish the wine nicely, but the color will be lighter and the flavor will be also. It's not huge, but noticeable. At .45 absolute, I could really tell the difference. Used it once and I don't think I want to use it again. I know other wineries go absolute .45 often, but I'm of the mindset that filtering is a tool that isn't always needed. For the winery, I use it on every wine, but not always down to .45. If it is an experimental home use wine, I may or may not. Big difference is time. Large tanks clear more slowly than a 5 gallon glass carboy. Sometimes it's hard to get the light haze out in a large tank. I think a large vacuum pump might work better, but it's not cheap to have 2 sets of pumps (in our case it would be 3). We are limited on clearing agents (we only have bentonite) and it doesn't always work. Going from home use to commercial means we've had to adapt.

Last edited:
So if you are going to talk about filtering, make sure you are stating the filters efficiency and micron size.

Case and point, a plate filter that many wineries use, have multiple plates that are rated much lower than a cartridge (65%). Depending on the amount of plates used, will change the overall efficiency.

I think the Pantek filter I bought is 1 micron.

1 micron is a good overall size (not fine, but fine enough to remove most all solids). I don't notice a taste difference at 1 micron. It is under 1 that I can tell the difference. Do you know what efficiency it has?

1 micron is a good overall size (not fine, but fine enough to remove most all solids). I don't notice a taste difference at 1 micron. It is under 1 that I can tell the difference. Do you know what efficiency it has?

I will check that when I get home.....thanks for chiming in.
Will post back later today...

I just checked the cartridge and there's nothing about efficiency, just says 1 micron (nominal).

It is a Pentek PD-1-934, specs:

1 micron rating
Model number PD-1-934
Temp. Range: 40 - 175 F
Dimensions: 9 7/8 inches x 2 1/2 inches
Flow Rate: 2 GPM @ < 2 psi

Here's the web page:
http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-PD-1-934-Sediment-Filter.asp?gclid=CKyqkID1wbkCFTBnOgodiz0AUA

The issue with not knowing efficiency is that it could be 60% or up to 95% for a nominal filter. If 40% of particles over 1 micron get through, it's not that fine, but if only 10% (or less) then it's much closer to fine. If I were to guess, it would be in the 70-85% range. The pp filters we use aren't cheap.

Look under filters below. They have information about them there too.

http://www.stpats.com/index.htm

See how the efficiency can make a big difference in what is actually being filter out? Size is only part of the equation. If we were talking absolute filters, it would be more cut and dry.

You can always make another pass if you want to make sure more of the >1 micron particles are filtered out.

Last edited:
Back