Do you loan equipment out?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've collected everything necessary to process a 100 lbs or tons of grapes; macro bins, electric destemmer/crusher, punch down, precision hydrometer, pH meter, SO2 meter, press, corker, bottle filler, pumps, truck....you get the picture.

As harvest season rolls around, I've received requests from friends and neighbors to borrow equipment; "hey Ken I'm going to get 500 lbs of Petite Syrah, could I borrow a macro bin and your destemmer, when the time comes"

It puts me in the uncomfortable position of saying, sorry, no. On a few occasions I've offered to help, if it corresponds with when I'll be doing my grapes. "I can't loan you the equipment, but if you bring your grapes over while I'm crushing mine, I'll run them through for you." Of course if I do that, they won't have a means to move the grapes or press them, so it will obligate me to help later.

How do you handle the "can I borrow" requests?

I don't have the equipment you have but I've been asked to lend things that I just don't lend.
"You're a good friend and I hope this doesn't come across badly, but I just don't lend things out. They're too heavy/expensive and I keep everything on site."

Hardball.jpg

It is really hard when it is a close friend.
You could put a price tag on it ? for a rental fee - talk about after so many hours that this equipment needs to be replaced - and it should last you another 10 years - unless u loan it out and you will have purchase new equipment sooner than expected.

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Thats how things get broke, bent, dropped etc. and then you don't have a crusher or press when its time to do your own grapes.

The crusher/destemmer and press stay at the house. They need to purchase their own primaries or bins. They come by, help set up, help clean up and take the grapes away for a week or two then bring back for pressing. Rinse repeat.

I agree with everyone else. I never lend out any of my equipment. Fortunately, I haven't been asked but the answer would be "Sorry but I can't do that, took me awhile to get the equipment I have and I don't know exactly when I will be getting my grapes so I need to have everything here ready to go when those grapes are here."

I knew a guy who had a neighbor that wanted to borrow something all the time -- ladders, tools, a cup of sugar, two eggs, a circular saw, a hammer ... it was always something. He got tired of having to think of some excuse to avoid lending out his own stuff. He told me that he once was asked by the annoying neighbor to lend his new riding lawnmower. When he told the guy he wouldn't lend it, the neighbor asked, "Why? Is it in the shop?"

"No it isn't in the shop."
"Is someone else using it?"
"No, no one else is using it."
"Is something wrong with it?"
"No, it's working just fine."
"Well ... then ... why can I not borrow it for a couple of hours?"
"Because my wife is making chicken soup."
"I don't understand. What does your wife making chicken soup have to do with me not being able to borrow your lawnmower?"
"Nothing. But you're NOT borrowing my lawnmower and one excuse is just as good as any other."

The guy never asked to borrow anything ever again.

I'd tell them that you will help them pick out some really solid equipment when they want to purchase it. I lent my tractor out to my neighbor who ran it up against a woody bush and scratched it up pretty badly the first year I owned it. Then another neighbor lost the knob on the shifter. It was the first tractor I ever owned. Did it make the tractor run poorly? No, the tractor is 24 years old and if I could find another deck for it I'd keep using it. But it is your equipment, you took the time and effort to purchase it as well as earn the money to pay for it. Plus you know what standards you use to maintain it. If they are a true friend, they will understand, if not they probably weren't as good as a friend as you thought.

I'd never ask to borrow anything unless it is offered to me first (for example, the nail gun my neighbor lent me this summer. We used it, returned it promptly (within two days), cleaned up better than when we received it and bought him a case of beer as a thank you).

Last edited:
You spent your hard-earned money on this valuable equipment and you take pristine care of it to guarantee it works flawlessly when you need it. Tell them you have a no-borrow philosophy, with no exceptions, that you hope they'll understand.

Now.....when your buddy 4score is involved, this no-use policy must be waived....because you "do" want to go to Heaven right? The wine in any other after-life "location" always has that burnt rubber, bad egg, smell. :).

By the way, I invested in a Label Wizard so I won't have to borrow your laser label alignment gadget any more. Although, I did like the laser scanner "beep" with every label!

When we bought the tractor, my wife and I agreed. Loan equipment, no. Help if I can with it, if I
can and the "borrower" reciprocates, yes! My excuse, I know how to use it and it would just be easier. Folks I know do the same. Ther's a lot of ha rd earned money in good equipment, plus if it broke when you need it :po

I lent my tractor out to my neighbor who ran it up against a woody bush and scratched it up pretty badly

It was not the worse when someone damaged the tool that I lent them. No, that was not the worse.

The worse was when they damaged it, did not tell me, and tried to fix it themselves. They had no clue what they were doing, did not bother to get proper parts or have a pro fix it (of course not, because they were too cheap to buy the tool themselves in the first place, so why spend money fixing my tool they damaged) and then when the tool was returned to me, not telling me what happened. So when I needed to use it, not knowing it was damaged and not repaired correctly, flies apart when I try to use it. Which meant (1) I did not have my own tool when I needed it, (2) it cost me more to fix their damage+"repair" than their damage alone would have cost (or more often replace since their "repair job" actually made it then unrepairable).

And that, THAT, is why I do not loan out my tools anymore.

If someone asks to borrow my tools, I give them instead an address for the local rental shop that specializes in renting tools.

Last edited:
I'm guilty of loaning tools. My problem is not them being returned damaged although that does happen. My problem is I don't remember who I loaned them to and when I need them they are no where to be found. So I'm getting a little pickier who I loan them to.

I have your heat gun!! :)

Ah, 4Score is a good example of a friend I don't mind lending some items to. He takes good care of the item, is conscientious of my need and getting it back to me. Heck, we have a list of "Who owes who" that is going on its second year.

You spent your hard-earned money on this valuable equipment and you take pristine care of it to guarantee it works flawlessly when you need it. Tell them you have a no-borrow philosophy, with no exceptions, that you hope they'll understand.

Now.....when your buddy 4score is involved, this no-use policy must be waived....because you "do" want to go to Heaven right? The wine in any other after-life "location" always has that burnt rubber, bad egg, smell. :).

By the way, I invested in a Label Wizard so I won't have to borrow your laser label alignment gadget any more. Although, I did like the laser scanner "beep" with every label!

Dad loans tools out all the time....you give him a check for the brand new replacement costs, he will loan you a tool. You don't bring it back, he cashes the check. You break it, he cashes the check. Check bounces, he will take you to small claims court. It is a game he likes to play.

Got a buddy with a really nice shop. I asked to borrow a router bit. He asked if he could borrow my job for a couple of days....he makes his living with his tools, I make mine from my job....seemed fair to him. I got the point.

How many "friendships" do you know that have been wrecked by loans and borrows?? Never a lender or borrower be....good advice.

Dad loans tools out all the time....you give him a check for the brand new replacement costs, he will loan you a tool. You don't bring it back, he cashes the check. You break it, he cashes the check. Check bounces, he will take you to small claims court. It is a game he likes to play.

Got a buddy with a really nice shop. I asked to borrow a router bit. He asked if he could borrow my job for a couple of days....he makes his living with his tools, I make mine from my job....seemed fair to him. I got the point.

How many "friendships" do you know that have been wrecked by loans and borrows?? Never a lender or borrower be....good advice.

Small claims court? That's a trip! Well said about the buddy with the shop. Unfortunately not everyone shares this knowledge. I only lend out old tools I have 2 of , and they get the older beat up ones. I still lose track, but they are tools not being used, and these are friends after all. And nothing significant. My STHL concrete saw was never the same after a lend.
I never thought to borrow wine equipment because I don't know anyone else with equipment, and I also hate to burden people and be dependent on anyone that isn't me.
Also, NEVER LEND OUT BOOKS! I learned this the hard way. Long term lends that you never see again.

I can just imagine the conversation. The irony of the question, "Why? Don't you trust me?

Last edited:
Wow! I just read through this entire thread and I am truly in the minority. I frequently and gladly lend my tools and equipment to friends and family and, although there have been some minor issues like slow return, returned dirty, broken, etc., it has not been a major problem. I guess others' experiences have been much worse than mine.

Latest posts

Back