Do you like your own wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an INTP type, I would wonder if maybe the data for your calculations may be biased or otherwise not reliable...... ;)

For those that do not get the joke.... from the above link: INTPs are often haunted by a fear of failure, causing them to rethink solutions many times and second-guess themselves. In their mind, they may have overlooked a bit of crucial data, and there may very well be another equally plausible solution.

I was curious about the differences between an INTJ and INTP because I once tested as in the middle between J and P, although not most recently, and I found and skimmed this article. This is a pretty fun one that I don't have time to vet thoroughly, but I nodded and laughed in agreement of the parts I read.

I have deleted my previous snarky response. However, I really did try to explain the concept (as I understand it, anyway) as simply as I knew how. I tried to do better and failed.

Last edited:
Can you translate into southern redneck?

It is just one way of compartmentalizing so as to describe personality types in an abbreviated code. It is kind of a psychological horoscope/zodiac.

So the "I" in "INTJ" stands for "Introvert". The other option there would be an "E" for "Extrovert". If one would to translate this to cars, for example, an Introvert is like the family sedan. The Extrovert is like a muscle car. All the other letters in INTJ or INTP have similar meanings. As anther example, the "T" stands for "Thinking" type. The other option instead of "T" is "F" which stand for "Feeling" types. An auto example might be the "T" is a modern auto transmission car with fuel injection which functions very analytically with inbuilt computers, while a "Feeling" type might be a classic manual 5 speed transmission with a carburetor, choke, etc. which you have to manually get a"feel for" to get the car to work optimally.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It is just one way of compartmentalizing so as to describe personality types in an abbreviated code. It is kind of a psychological horoscope/zodiac.

So the "I" in "INTJ" stands for "Introvert". The other option there would be an "E" for "Extrovert". If one would to translate this to cars, for example, an Introvert is like the family sedan. The Extrovert is like a muscle car. All the other letters in INTJ or INTP have similar meanings. As anther example, the "T" stands for "Thinking" type. The other option instead of "T" is "F" which stand for "Feeling" types. An auto example might be the "T" is a modern auto transmission car with fuel injection which functions very analytically with inbuilt computers, while a "Feeling" type might be a classic manual 5 speed transmission with a carburetor, choke, etc. which you have to manually get a"feel for" to get the car to work optimally.

Hope this helps.

Actually that does. Thank you

Typically I like my wines.

The Pumpkin I just bottled though.... :pee

I've got a watermelon peach aging that I had added bananas to... it seems okay, but it stinks like rotten bananas. :( since watermelon is a pretty delicate flavor, it really kills the whole thing. Hoping it ages out, because that wine was a ton of work.

I am a better than fair cook. I like cooking and always try to do my best. Most of the time my meals are quite pleasant and enjoyable. They are not 5 star dining by any stretch. But they taste good, provide nourishment, and will make a turd. I like making wine and am getting better. One of my biggest improvements came when I simply started making wines I know I enjoy drinking. As opposed to Oh I have never made one of these yet! I just enjoy drinking my wine and I can overlook some it's faults just like I overlook some my own faults!

Lastly, since I started making wine and paying attention to wines....I find faults with the pro built wines, the store bought stuff, the gold metal winners. I also find that the more people pay, the easier it is to talk themselves into ranking it higher. Really. You just paid 55 bucks for Cab, are going to say this is really kinda crappy? No. Odds are you are going to BS around and find hints of earthiness instead of tastes like wet cardboard. Myself, If I don't like it, I say so, and do not drink it. I have told been I have an uneducated palette, however, my wallet is is highly sensitive and educated.

Great post Mismost! $55 for a Cab . . . I'd rather make it at home and move the decimal point one digit to the left! I like the whites I have made and I like the flavor of the reds, but they seem to be lacking in structure and complexity. However, due to the wonderful information I am gleaning from this web site, I am working on correcting that fault.

I absolutely concur that making my own wine causes me to be a more discerning buyer of commercial wines.

Last edited:
If I were to offer to sell a bottle of opus-one at $55, I think there would be a stampede (especially in these parts) ...

I hear what you are saying. Many people ask "is it really worth the money". IMHO, it all depends.

High end wines cost money. Some are good, some are bad, some are price-gouged, and some are like an "afterwards embrace" (giggidy). Although points awarded on a wine (by a reputable wine rater) may give you some idea of how well the wine is received, it all really comes down to tasting and personal preference.

I have been a winemaker for more than half my life. In that time, I have often wondered just how good is a Chateau Latour or a Chateau Lafite Rothschild??? The vintages I purchased were both are rated at or very near 100 points.

SO, to make a long story short, I have tried them both. I know some may think that this is extravagant, but I considered tasting these wines as a life event and a one time thing, a bucket list item if you will.

Some guys spend money on telescopes, motorcycles, fishing boats, or hunting rifles. Well, I spent money tasting some high end wines.

I have to say that in tasting these wines, I get it. I see why they are highly rated. As a highly rated wine, they were fantastic and were clearly flawless. I assure you that this is my true opinion and not my reaction to hype. Believe me, if the wines were of poor quality, I would not have been happy.

So the big question.. Was it worth the money? As a one time thing, I feel it was. It was worth it to me to find out what it was all about, however, I could not in good conscience make drinking these wines are regular thing.

For my 60th birthday, I am planning on opening a Chateau Margaux. I am thinking of picking it up this year and cellaring it until the time is upon me.

So far it's just been kits and I tend to be pretty critical of them. Some (like the Forza) I'm crazy over; while others (WE LE Super Tuscan) I wish I'd have spent that money on a different kit. Last year I got to comfort level making wine, so I started making wine from grapes and juice buckets.

Generally, I like my wine. When I've been at it for 10 or 20 years, I hope to love my wine. What I will say is that, with the exception of the higher-end, cellar-dweller wines that I would save for a special occasion, I'm done going to the state store to buy commercial wine. Since we drink an average of 3 bottles a week, that makes Mrs. Mann very happy.

Some guys spend money on telescopes, motorcycles, fishing boats, or hunting rifles. Well, I spent money tasting some high end wines.

I have to say that in tasting these wines, I get it. I see why they are highly rated. As a highly rated wine, they were fantastic and were clearly flawless. I assure you that this is my true opinion and not my reaction to hype. Believe me, if the wines were of poor quality, I would not have been happy.

So the big question.. Was it worth the money? As a one time thing, I feel it was. It was worth it to me to find out what it was all about, however, I could not in good conscience make drinking these wines are regular thing.

For my 60th birthday, I am planning on opening a Chateau Margaux. I am thinking of picking it up this year and cellaring it until the time is upon me.

I agree that if wine is your passion then it's okay to spend a small sum to get the experience. I am a real newbie and probably have yet to develop a palette for high end wines. So far, I have found a few labels in the $25-$35 range that I found really impressive, but the couple of times I have ventured into deeper waters I have been disappointed. My local liquor store hosted a big tasting last fall that included some big name European wineries. They were pouring bottles ranging from $35 up to $100. I can't say that I loved any of them and I honestly did not even like the $75 & $100 bottles. Possibly my expectations were just too high. I guess it's a good thing since I would hate to fall in love with something I really could not afford.

Don't forget to invite us all over for your birthday so we can all have a sip of that Chateau Margaux! I hope it's a magnum.

So far, I have found a few labels in the $25-$35 range that I found really impressive, but the couple of times I have ventured into deeper waters I have been disappointed. My local liquor store hosted a big tasting last fall that included some big name European wineries. They were pouring bottles ranging from $35 up to $100. I can't say that I loved any of them and I honestly did not even like the $75 & $100 bottles. Possibly my expectations were just too high. I guess it's a good thing since I would hate to fall in love with something I really could not afford.

There is a local winery where I live. They price one of their wines at about $100 a bottle. And they sell it.

I have actually had far, far better $100 a bottles wines. But, again, they sell. So the take home message is, at some point, price becomes an issue of marketing more than economics, so it has, eventually, actually little to do with the product quality.

Quite frankly, if someone is willing to pay $100 for a bottle of wine, even a bottle of wine I find not worth that price, whom am I to argue. Wish I could. Maybe I will. :)

So, in some ways, maybe $55 a bottle for something that tastes like cardboard is just not marketed correctly. Maybe it needs to advertise for $150 a bottle and promote its subtle truffle boutique..... (because, seriously, who has actually smelled a truffle to know that is true or not. Wet cardboard versus truffle. Meh. Close enough).

Anyone that gives less than 90 points for a wine is just an unskilled palate promoting fake news, while those that give 95 or above are the only real connoisseur who truly know fine wine.... As is stated by the winery receiving mixed reviews. Call me a cynic. But, right or wrong, that is how the world often works today.

Ignore the hype. Drink what you like. Buy what you like. That is really all any of us can do.

Last edited:
i like my wines. Are they better than store bought? Some have nothing to compare with. If you didn't like them why make them. Some are not as hoped but the other regulars I like. Even if you don't like them keep trying. Others may like them or you may enjoy making them, does it really matter?

Latest posts

Back