Do You Know Your Style?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We put a lot of thought in making our wines but do we really know what is best for making the style of wine we enjoy most, I know I don't. When I drink a wine I know if I like it or not then drinking it with different foods my thoughts often change. I'm starting to get a little better at tasting specific aromas and flavors but I really have no idea how to produce a wine with similar qualities. Do I use french, american or Hungarian oak or not and how much, which tannin or not will give the best results, what yeast combination would be best, it's common belief that making acid adjustments is best done pre fermentation but would a higher or lower pH make the best finished wine, high or low fermentation temperatures. There are so many decisions to make both pre and post fermentation that will have an influence on the final product. Heck, I don't even know what my style actually is!

We put a lot of thought in making our wines but do we really know what is best for making the style of wine we enjoy most, I know I don't. When I drink a wine I know if I like it or not then drinking it with different foods my thoughts often change. I'm starting to get a little better at tasting specific aromas and flavors but I really have no idea how to produce a wine with similar qualities. Do I use french, american or Hungarian oak or not and how much, which tannin or not will give the best results, what yeast combination would be best, it's common belief that making acid adjustments is best done pre fermentation but would a higher or lower pH make the best finished wine, high or low fermentation temperatures. There are so many decisions to make both pre and post fermentation that will have an influence on the final product. Heck, I don't even know what my style actually is!
I feel this thread has a lot of potential. Food ABSOLUTELY will change our perception of what wine we are drinking it with. On that note, what is your favorite wine for “quaffing” and what is your favorite for sitting back and just thoroughly enjoying the aromas and tastes? What are your favorite dinner meals? That will dictate the wine you should be pairing with it. Boy! This topic could be “one of those!”
Personally, I’m a Zin freak, and continue to experiment to craft “my” style. As for your questions, I’m still too new to this hobby to offer anything that you don’t already know. Good luck @mainshipfred!

Last edited:
Style? interesting question, think most fruit wines are follow recipe folks.

Used to be mixing fruit & juice at a lab bench, , would call “lowest cost style”/ ie follow Jack Keller with1:4 or 1:5 water, , or just good enough.

Retired style, “what will win a contest “ ie, , lots of fruit solids, low temp to maximize aroma, enough sugar to balance high TA. “HEDONIC “
. . . . . . More thoughts . . . . . .
“intentional” , , , ie Flavors should be complex/interesting,, , , , , balanced, , , giving a pleasing aroma followed by sweetness followed by acid notes followed by tannic/ bitter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back