Do you drink, while making wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink wine, while making wine?

• No, I wait until everything is cleaned up and put away.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yes, it’s part of the fun of making wine

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Sometimes, if it’s the right group, right time, right place.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have people help when I’m bottling 30-90 gallons, as well as at crush and press. Curious about how you handle drinking during the work party?

Never worked with volumes like that but to me the drinking is the reward AFTER a job well done.
Anything before that you could have all sorts of issues I would fear.

My bottling process normally ends up with a few ozs left over (about a glass or two) and I reward myself and my wife that evening with the 'proceeds' of the bottling work.

I’m a lone winemaker, so never really have the party atmosphere going on. When bottling, always go in with a glass and the first wine out of the bottling wand goes into the glass, which I enjoy during the work. Most bottling happens on weekend mornings, wifey is always amused when she wakes up and I’ve already had a glass of wine. Tough job, but has to be done.

I have been known to make wine while I drink...

I'm with Johnd on the giving myself a glass while I bottle when I'm only doing a small batch. Same as I like to have a beer while bottling a brew. But if I'm doing a significant bottling I won't drink till after as it's so much work. On my own efficiency, process and cleanliness is paramount to me and I'd hate to mess anything up because I indulged too much.
I've never had a bottling party but if I did I'd ban the drinking til the workings done. Kinda like any working bee there's people who think it's all just fun and games and I don't forgive sloppiness. Get in there and get the job done right, then let the rewards flow :).
My brother in law helped me pick and crush this year and did a decent job so I'll have to invite him back when I'm bottling the 35 odd gallons I have aging.

I’m a lone winemaker, so never really have the party atmosphere going on. When bottling, always go in with a glass and the first wine out of the bottling wand goes into the glass, which I enjoy during the work. Most bottling happens on weekend mornings, wifey is always amused when she wakes up and I’ve already had a glass of wine. Tough job, but has to be done.

Here too. Around 10:30 on a Saturday morning, it's not unusual for me to come up from the work room with a glass and the first thing I say to my wife is "Here. Taste this and tell me what you think."

"Here too. Around 10:30 on a Saturday morning, it's not unusual for me to come up from the work room with a glass and the first thing I say to my wife is "Here. Taste this and tell me what you think."

I try the same question but often get the answer, "Not right now I'm busy." Especially frustrating when I'm back-sweetening and need to wrap it up and prepare bottles for filling in a couple of days..

( Speaking to myself.... Ok I'll decide on my own and if you don't like it....)

Harvesting, crushing, pressing: absolutely not. Too many tools and fingers around that may interact in regrettable ways.

Racking: Just to taste the wine being racked.

Bottling: Only when done, to be consumed during cleanup, as there is always a bottle that just could not be quite filled to bother corking.

"... Bottling: Only when done, to be consumed during cleanup, as there is always a bottle that just could not be quite filled to bother corking."

Exactly, wasting a cork and label... not good.
Early tasting - Proper reward for job well done. :br

Fun question. We tend to work first then break out the drinks as a reward and thanks for the help during crush. Racking is a solo project for me and it starts with coffee slides into water then trips over a bottle or two of beer and if my timing is perfect finishes up about the exact same time it becomes more about the drinks than the work. Bottling requires wine but not till starting the clean up process.
Mike

They won't let me drink wine while working at work but they sure as hell can't stop me when I'm working at home.

Picking, crushing, pressing parties, after all the work is done. We start early and end with lunch. I usually end up finishing the cleaning by myself in the afternoon. Bottleing, racking etc. I do alone so QA sampling and leftovers are par for the course. But then, blending parties. All about the drinking, just ignore the later notes

They won't let me drink wine while working at work but they sure as hell can't stop me when I'm working at home.

They just posted one of these "Workplace Policy Notices" in our break room at work too!

Generally no as I'm usually by myself working on it. Though if and when I do have others with me. It's far more likely to happen!

"Workplace Policy Notices"

Rules and Policy I always thought were pretty obvious for any thinking, responsible adult. But sometimes, sadly, they need to be stated explicitly:

e0f52469369bb94c88b768a67b22f131--apartment-essentials-apartment-ideas.jpg

Back