Do you drink store/commerical wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What wine do you drink?

• I drink my wine plus store/commercial wine.

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • I only drink home made wine.

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

TxBrew

Reaction score
Another generic thread I know but do you drink store/commercial wine or exclusively your own?

I drink my own and other home winemakers. LOL, But I did have to buy a wine a few weeks ago, we decided to stay longer at our camp and I onlny took a bottle of wine. It wasn't bad but I still liked my own wine better.

I never go to the liquer store anymore. However if I am traveling to wineries I will pick up a bottle or two for testing purposes. To see how good my wines really are.

I do not buy any wine at state stores anymore. This is good and bad. I feel you should never stick to just your own wine but you need to get out and explore others. This is what I like best about getting together with the other wine makers and visiting other wineries.

I have not built up my wine supply yet - but it is getting there.

Only bought 4 bottles in the last 2 years - so i am doing better!!

With the addition of the Chilean Juice I got and hopefully adding a Norton this fall - I am looking to be set to not have to buy any..

walter s red is not bad either @ 7 or 8 dollars a bottle who could afford too be a wino

Last edited:
yeah i cant believe state stores still sell any wine some peaple are just lazy and have a lot of money and take the easy route dont know what they are missing

yeah i cant believe state stores still sell any wine some peaple are just lazy and have a lot of money and take the easy route dont know what they are missing

Tom I don't quite understand what you're saying here. I agree I can't believe we still have state stores instead of being able to buy wine in the grocery stores. The part about people being lazy and have a lot of money I don't get and taking the easy route.

We only drink our own wine now. Thats why we arent building up our stash quick enough.

I drink my own and other home winemakers. LOL, But I did have to buy a wine a few weeks ago, we decided to stay longer at our camp and I onlny took a bottle of wine. It wasn't bad but I still liked my own wine better.

That's the way I am, Julie. I only buy store bought when all else fails, which that hasn't happened since I started making my own, but never saying never will!

when you can make youre own wine i just dont understand why peaple would pay high prices for something they can make with time and effort for a lot less cost

Last edited:
I drink both. I usually only buy specialty wine and usually from a winery while here in Canada. I spend a lot of my summer in the USA and buy all the wine I drink while there. Two reasons for this. Wine is much cheaper in the USA and Border/customs is to fussy to bother taking any with me. The only example I can offer off the top of my head for price difference is that I bought some Robert Mondavi in the US for $8.99 last month. It is in my sales flyer right now for $20.99. :mny

We (the wife and I) are still buying from the store. But I'm bottling my first 2 batches this weekend. Once we have our own reserves I think the only wine we'll buy will be from the smaller wineries.

show a man how to make wine he will drink wine when when ever he wants , show a man where to buy wine he will be broke in no time thats all i am saying

I never drank anything until I started making wine last fall! Never bought any either. Dinner guests would bring a bottle and I would throw it out a few weeks later. Now I wished I had at least saved the bottles. Never cared much for the taste of any alcohol until I started making country wines!

I probably bought more the past year then ever before. Now this fall when mine are ready the tables will turn.

Sometimes it's nice to get a wine bottle of a style just to decide if I'm going to make that style in a 5 gallon batch. Who wants 5 gallons of a wine that they don't like?

Both for me. Buying commercial wines gives one an endless world of wines to experiment with. And lotsa ideas for what styles/varieties to make.

I don't think I'll ever stop buying/trying different wines. No matter how many bottles of my own are on hand and ready to drink.

Latest posts

Back