Do yeast consume electrolytes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannit

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested to know whether yeast consume electrolytes like sodium, potassium and magnesium. The reason I ask is that I am going to ferment the coconut water from a bunch of coconuts I harvested here in Ft Myers, FL. I like the idea of having coconut water on hand to replenish my electrolytes, but do not wish to consume all the carbs that are in coconut water (keto diet). So my idea is to ferment the coconut water with yeast and then add the "mother" from some store-bought vinegar to let the bacteria convert the resulting alcohols into vinegar. Then I'll have a daily probiotic-infused electrolyte drink.

I know this isn't winemaking per se but I have my prior experience with winemaking to call upon in this new adventure, and I think my question about yeast (and bacteria for that matter) consuming electrolytes is one to which someone here may know the answer. If the yeast amd bacteria consume all the electrolytes, then maybe there's no point. Or maybe they consume them but the result is that the electrolytes are still in the liquid with the yeast and bacteria, and maybe even more bioavailable to me. Who knows?

Back