Do oak chips lose their flavor in the bag over time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, if you took your first time used oak and no matter what type rinsed them and then let them soak in a deluction of liquid smoke and water let it set overnight. Then drained and placed in a metal baking rack in the over on the warm setting for 1 hour or so I'll bet you they'll be good to use one more time.

Man that liquid smoke is some kinda powerful and all I have ever seen is Hickory. a Bottle cap full in ten pounds of sausage makes "smoked sausage". I'd be using drops in wine....fact is, I don't think I would try it!
We got carried away one year with liquid smoke and made a batch of HICKORY sausage...could not hardly taste the meat....but a couple of links in a BIG pot of beans made good eating...but even the toots smelled like hickory!!

Remember that old addage,a little goes a long way..just like the zest.remember ,just a couple of drops you should experiment...you do know you can buy liquid oak.

Last edited:
Joe,
I've used liquid smoke to cook with before. I don't see it giving notes of caramel, chocolate, or vanilla, but rather bacon. I've recycled my own sticks by splitting them then doubling up. It seemed to work. Even though they sank to the bottom, the wine does not totally penetrate the sticks. I kept them frozen to avoid mold while waiting to use them again.

Here is some heavy toast. I took the picture of them for my Amazon listing, then tossed them all in 8 carboys of Cab Sav.

I ordered a conveyor oven, When that gets here I'll be ready to try to sell some. Or resell an oven??

View attachment 47054

Hey I see Ohio on your bag in the pic. I'm near Cincinnati, where are you?

Sounds like a fun experiment. I wonder if anyone here has started with selecting a tree, then harvesting, cutting, seasoning and toasting. Or simply used an oven to increase the toast level of existing oak products, or perhaps in an attempt to refresh old oak. Any barrel makers here? For now, I think I'll stick with buying known good products, and leave the cooperage to the professionals. Although some might say the same about making wine. ;-)
Youtube has a few guys (How To) They dry and roast chips and cubes/chunks slowly in stoves in their garages. Personally I buy a 1 lb bag that lasts me 2 years at $25......to each there own, there is no right or wrong

Latest posts

Back