Do many of you actually have a Wine Cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you have stable temps in a room thats what really matters!

I can definitely keep just about any part of my bachelor living space from varying more than 5 degreees F during the course of a typical 24-hour period, even during fairly dramatic seasonal shifts.

You should be fine then as long as you dont become unrealistic and think you can store a bottle of wine for 20 years and expect it to be great, although that can happen depending on the wine and corks used. I seen people store a bottle of wine in their locker at work for 3 years and this place does not stay temp controlled and we opened just for a laugh and it was very good.

I'm far more interested in making some of the wines I already know I like to drink... and then drinking them. More exotic treats may be readily obtained at a local shop.

But 6 gallon batches and any sense of variety will call for some stashing.

These are a few pictures of my cellar i share with my brother who is a veteran wine maker.

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

Wow

Nice cellar Rock! I just finished expanding a closet in my finished basement that will store about 5 or 6 carboys and 50 - - 70 bottles.... pics to come

Left to right these are all 30 gallon barrels french oak except the last one.
2008 cab/merlot/syrah,next 2009 paso robles cab/merlot,2009 contra costa cab/merlot/malbec,2009 chilean merlot/malbec,2009 chalkhill cab/merlot/cabfranc,and the baby in the corner is a 13.5gallon american oak 2009 merlot/syrah from paso robles.

Here is a pic that I took last fall. Right now I have a small corner of the cellar but I will be expanding shortly.

picture.php

Wade, I love your wine cellar. I use my daughter's former basement bedroom. It's got plenty of room and is on the outside corner so it's plenty cold during the winter and air cond. in the summer.

Are those strips on your carboys temperature strips? Your photos gave me ideas. Guess now I have something to do tomorrow.

Thanks

Yes they are temp strips and are self adhesive and work well. Always glad to be of help but all those ideas are patented! :)

Here in Arizona basements are almost unheard of, and if you're lucky enough to have one, you'll still need supplemental A/C running through most of the year to keep the basement cool enough for long term wine storage. When someone talks about their "wine cellar" here, what they are really talking about is a wine cooler or refrigerator of some type.

My wine cellar is comprised of three ~50 bottle wine coolers, along with a refrigerator set to the highest possible temperature, and a freezer set to 61 degrees via an external thermostat. This provides storage for roughly 250 bottles, a small oak barrel, and several carboys.

Room temperature in central Arizona hovers around 78 degrees for much of the year in most homes. This is just too warm for long term storage of most wines. In my experience, lighter, fruity wines can be noticeably over-the-hill after as little as 6 months when stored at room temperature.

the first pic is a wine cellar a built 4 yrs ago...the second is our first winery building (small) but its now licensed...built this past summer and fall

winetasting.jpg

WineryWalkwaySteps.JPG

well actually ...now,the wine cellar has lots of wine, thankfully... but back then there was probably about two hundred bottles..anyways its in the basement....you can have a meal down there....kind of nice

Latest posts

Back