Do many of you actually have a Wine Cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I know that once you get a little North of the state line, you can start talking basements. But here in the SwampShine State, a basement would raise fish.
I worked on a home where they planned on having a wine cellar under the steps going up to the 2nd floor of the house. The 1st floor was in a flood zone and not considered living space.
So do many of you Northern nieghbors use a basement, or just on of the spare rooms in the house.
I have to figure something out soon for here. Maybe when I have on of the rooms the kids are in now back.

I keep my wine in the barn. It's lined and insulated, with a concrete floor.

Allie

Corner of the basement, exterior block walls, concrete floor is approx 6' below grade and insulated to R20 down to 2' above the floor, 2 interior walls are also cement block and completely insulated with an insulated door. 71 degrees in
the utility room but the coldroom/cellar in the corner is at 64. During the summer the utility room was up to 80 and the coldroom/cellar never got above

Here is just a "small" part of my wine cellar

picture.php
[/IMG]

I have a 7x9 insulated room in my garage with a wine refrigeration unit in it. I'd love to have an actual underground cellar, but as someone said earlier, It would be a pond instead if I tried.

I have a wine making room and a wine storing room in my cellar. in my wine making room I also have a fridge where I keep all my beer and wine on tap.
ElderberryBlackberry.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

LeftSideWithDoorRack.jpg

RightSideCellar.jpg

There has to be a big screen tv, bathroom and at least a comfy recliner.
Why would you even want to leave a room like that.
Oh yeah, wife and job...I forgot.

Well I could surely forget the job and depending on which day even the wife and kids. I do have a 17" laptop on which I have a 160 gig hardrive and could hook up my terabytes of dvd's on to. I have all 763 movies ripped and burned onto hardrives and dvds that were rented. I dont do it anymore though as I got tired of getting new software every 6 months to keep up withn the decrypting and burning.

I am working on plans for an actual wine under my basement stairs where I'm guesstimating that I should be able to store a few thousand bottles floor to ceiling... The boyfriend says we need to side the garage before we blah blah blah... :sl but soon!

I like the idea of having an actual "wine cellar" because it helps to keep things out of sight and mind when you get visitors who want to try everything you have, or heaven forbid, take the precious bottles home with them!

I live in Pennsylvania and it is pretty common for people to have finished basements with living and storage space.

The boyfriend says we need to side the garage before we blah blah blah... :sl but soon!

just use some of your womanly influence. might make that soon be now;)

getting over 1000 bottles is tough. we make over 250 yearly and after 6 yrs, we have ~400 bottles. very, very slow to grow.

100 posts :r

That's his main defense on why we don't need one "yet". He says we can make due with just a little dinky wine rack since we go through most of what we have quickly. I want to make a wine cellar under the stairs that I can "grow into".

If I could keep my collection locked up and away from his friends when he says things like "oh hey, you gotta try this!" and opens every bottle to give it all away, I could have a bigger collection! :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stingy, I'd just like more than a few bottles to get the chance to properly age.

just use some of your womanly influence. might make that soon be now;)

getting over 1000 bottles is tough. we make over 250 yearly and after 6 yrs, we have ~400 bottles. very, very slow to grow.

100 posts :r

NOT in this house.
I make my LEGAL limit and thats 1,000 bottles

That's his main defense on why we don't need one "yet". He says we can make due with just a little dinky wine rack since we go through most of what we have quickly. I want to make a wine cellar under the stairs that I can "grow into".

If I could keep my collection locked up and away from his friends when he says things like "oh hey, you gotta try this!" and opens every bottle to give it all away, I could have a bigger collection! :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stingy, I'd just like more than a few bottles to get the chance to properly age.

Remind him that he can be an ex-boyfriend. :)

I Live in North west Pa and I have a wine storage room in my basement with a capacity of about 500 bottles and that could grow if need be.:b
Although the racks were mostly empty in this picture 8 months ago, they are mostly filled now. I have storage on all four walls.

DSCN0785.JPG

DSCN1113.JPG

NOT in this house.
I make my LEGAL limit and thats 1,000 bottles

1k bottles a year making or overall in storage?

iirc, 200 gal/ year limit is for making, but not storage. sounds like alot of wine, but we'll be making batches bigger than that hopefully.

I SAID I MAKE 1,000 BOTTLE I HAVE MUCH MORE
200 gallons = 1,000 bottles
BTW ask Joeswine he has seen my cellar

Latest posts

Back