Do many of you actually have a Wine Cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that would be nice. Sorry to say in the eyes of our government its 1,000 750 ML bottles

I'm really glad the law is different over here. We can make and store as much as we want as long as don't sell it.
I have a large cellar. Lots of wineracks floor to ceiling. I show it off to those special guests but keep a few bottles handy outside of the cellar for those that might go for my "best" stuff. :)

Tom, I'm a technology idiot. I have absolutely no idea how to do that. I might borrow a five year old to show me how sometime. :)

I Live in North west Pa and I have a wine storage room in my basement with a capacity of about 500 bottles and that could grow if need be.:b
Although the racks were mostly empty in this picture 8 months ago, they are mostly filled now. I have storage on all four walls.

In the words of Borat "very niiiiiice" :h

I have to admit, I'm jealous of the wine rooms you have but I also understand that you've been at it a little longer than my four months.
So far I still use my home office for almost everything. It's getting kind of tight on space with the desks, computers, large format printer and not to mention the signed plans I keep copies of.
I think when one of the bedrooms gets unoccupied, it might have to become my wine room.
I built my first set of bottle shelves yesterday. Surprised me when I realized I had three bottles more than it would hold. I guess a decent start.

Right now I have a "wine crawlspace", it's functional for now, but, I anticipate the need for a more controlled environment down the line. I'm thinking of building a room in the garage, then having a small wine fridge (30 bottles or so) in the house, just to keep them handy.

Of course, if I win the powerball, the sky's the limit.

Peace,
Bob

That's his main defense on why we don't need one "yet". He says we can make due with just a little dinky wine rack since we go through most of what we have quickly. I want to make a wine cellar under the stairs that I can "grow into".

If I could keep my collection locked up and away from his friends when he says things like "oh hey, you gotta try this!" and opens every bottle to give it all away, I could have a bigger collection! :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stingy, I'd just like more than a few bottles to get the chance to properly age.

You just need to go to more & bigger fermenters and carboys :)

My God!

I have to get working. Wade, it is hurtful the way you keep making me look at that wine room of yours.

:n:smI finished half of my basement for a workshop once. After it was studded insulated, wired and sheetrocked my bride came down to see my progress and said "what a great playroom this would be for the boys".
I have two boys ages 5 and 2, so I wainscoted and painted it and bought a 12 x 20 workshop for the yard.

Anyways I am now finishing off the rest of the basement because my bride thought it would be a good idea, (she is right, plus it gives me something to do and keeps me out of her hair). I insisted on an area for my wine. I am rethinking the design now though. Thanks for the ideas

Ifin I had the money I would consider designing me a concrete room with a concrete ceiling and then cover her up with dirt. We sure can't have a basement here in Florida. The water table is just about always only 20 or so inches below ground level and then in the rainy season its 6 inches above ground level. :slp
Then during hurricanes I could sit in my wine cellar/hurricane shelter/bomb shelter and get wasted while the wind blew.

I am envious of those of you that have dedicated wine rooms, nice!

I have a room in one corner of the basement that my wife refers to as 'the dungeon'. It is a multi purpose room. (for now). I have a table for doing my bottling etc, in the middle of the room. I can store 96 bottles on the racks built as part of the table, plus I have some other racks against one wall. Against the other wall I have a 'electronics work bench' where I pursue my hobby of computers and the likes. I have another table where I pursue my amateur radio hobby. Tucked away in an alcove is my gun cabinet. Do I spend a lot of time in the 'Dungeon'? You might say so, and yes it is a 'cold room'.

Love this new hobby I have taken up of wine making! Now have completed 3 kits.

wine cellar

I have a 13 x 21 ft. room under my house, in my crawl space, the celing is about 8 ft high, without any heat or A/C it stays about 60 deg F. all year. I'm going to put in a floor, and add cabinets, countertop, flooring, I'll build a wine rack for it. But for all of you that have been doing this a long time, what else should I think of instaling?

You should throw a humidometer and watch that during the summer, you want it to stay around 70-75%. If it starts getting much higher then that youll get moldy corks. It will require a de humidifier!

That's a good idea Wade, I hadn't thought of that. I'm also putting in a sink. Another question? Should I have another area at a different temp. for storage?

Avoid this!

If you insist on building a wine cellar take the wife on vacation and have the work done while you are away.

Then get the wife a few glasses of wine before you tell her whats going on.

Sorry, I can't publish the pictures of what happened when they got home!:D

She tought it was funny when he described it to her, till they got home and she realized he was serious!

I think him and the dog are still arguing about the tv remote out in the dog house!:tz

Troy
:b

cellar1.jpg

some wives don t like the excavation idea.jpg

Last edited:
I take her on enough damn vacations..LOL...We just got back from Costa Rica, this spring we go to Caymen Islands and in the fall we go to the Tetons.
Besides, I'm really not spending that much money, I'm doing it all myself. I calculated about $ 1200 for everything. the only thing I may have to do is hire a plummer.

So.. "Charlie" and the little lady come back from vacation and he calls his contractor.

It goes somethign like this. " Yeah Joe, excellent job on the cellar!! Jill is fine with it, shes a little angry we cant go somewhere warm for the winter, but she will get over the cost, ..........KAH-WANG!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

cellar cost coming back to bite you in the ash.jpg

SJ you may be looking for a plumber if she finds out you would rather have a cellar than taking her on a vacation!! ROTF. LOL

I have yet to figure out how I'm going to manage storage.

No basement, garage temps fluctuate WILDLY, and the whole place is on central heating/air (generally hovering somewhere around 72F).

The (frelling huge) walk-in closet in the master suite has no vents, and I have no spouse, so maybe I can find some way to regulate the temp down in there & use it.

We don't have problems like power outages here, because everything's underground.

Just don't know....

Back