Do I need to make simple syrup out of corn sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I am making an island mist wine and I am adding one pound of corn sugar. Do I have to make syrup or can I just add the sugar and stir well? I had rather not make the syrup.

Based on my one-time attempt at beer making, I found that corn sugar easily dissolved when directly added. One advantage of using it in place of syrup is that it enhances the sweetness of the wine without diluting the flavor. So I also say
Pour it right in ...
My only modifier is that you add it in stages until you find the amount of sweetness you're looking for. It's easier to add more corn sugar to the wine if needed than it is to lessen the sweetness of wine if overdone.

thanks cmason and rustbucket. I should have mentioned that I am adding prior to ferment to up the alcohol, now sweetening. Seems to me that stirring it well at first, adding some oxygen and starting the ferment and stirring it every day or the sugars should all be consumed. Right now setting up something to boil water is a hassle (winery is a quarter mile from my home, no kitchen). I suppose I need to invest in a good hot plate!

thanks cmason and rustbucket. I should have mentioned that I am adding prior to ferment to up the alcohol, now sweetening. Seems to me that stirring it well at first, adding some oxygen and starting the ferment and stirring it every day or the sugars should all be consumed. Right now setting up something to boil water is a hassle (winery is a quarter mile from my home, no kitchen). I suppose I need to invest in a good hot plate!
A hot plate might be nice, but to be honest, I only ever add sugar plain and stir the heck out of it. When backsweeting,I pull off about the same amount of wine as I am going to added sugar, mix well to dissolve, then into the wine. No simple syrup for me.

Last edited:
Back