Do i need nutrient?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xriddle

Reaction score
I just got my grapes (merlot, cabernet, sangioves) crushed and added my k-meta. I tested with my hydrometer and it looks like its right at 1.100. I'm planning to add my yeast (RC-212) and oak-chips tomorrow. What do you guys think? Do I need I need a yeast nutrient? The sales guy at he winemaking store suggested not to add unless I need where as I've read here to add DAP regardless so the yeast is properly fed. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

It all depends on what you are going for. If you want 100% organic wine, then no, you do not want any neutriant.

If you want to take steps to make the best wine possible (I know that this is a subjective term), then you really should use neutiant.

YN not only helps in the development and proper growth of yeast, it also aids in preventing yeast breakdown (one of the causes of sulphur related problems). With RC-212, I normally use Fermax, but DAP is also a good one to use.

Like above, I do not add all at once. I like to add 50% up front, then 40% at the mid-point of fermentation, then the remaining 10% when I transfer to my secondary.

Seems 212 is picky about not having enough. I would also add it.

I was hoping to keep it as organic as possible ... What would I have to keep an eye on if i wanted to add it only if need be. Are there any early signs that suggest nutrient needs to be added soon?

Do I take a chance of ruining my wine if i don't add it now? Also from reading other forums it can also be added if my must starts smelling of sulfur. Is this correct?

Yes RC-212 is finicky. Unless you are sure of where the grapes came from, they probably are not organic, so I would add DAP to it. If it starts to stink, the yeast is starving.

Do I take a chance of ruining my wine if i don't add it now? Also from reading other forums it can also be added if my must starts smelling of sulfur. Is this correct?

If you use a yeast strain that has a tendency to get stressed when nutrients get low, you should certainly use the nutrient. Once you start getting the smell of excess sulfur (rotten egg small - H2S), some of the damage has already been done, so it is a little late. Yes, you would want to go ahead and add it if you smell that, but you will then have to deal with the H2S problem.

If adding nutrients is a problem, maybe you should look for a yeast that has a low nutrient requirement, like EC1118, which will not give you quite the same results as 212 does.

Here is a yeast/wine pairing guide. It doesn't tell you anything about nutrient requirements, though. Find one you like and look at its specifications from the manufacturer.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Ok so seems like most recommend adding the DAP. I'll try to get my hands on some and add it ...before pitching. Do I need to dilute it or just add it to the must. I'm making 3 demijohns so I need 45 teaspoons? Is that correct? BTW does DAP affect the taste?

I was able to get some some Fermaid-K a my local shop. The PDF (http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/Fermaid_K.pdf) suggests 5 grams per 20 liters so 0.25grams per liter. If my calculations are correct that's way less than 45 teaspoons. I'm making 3 demijohns so ... thats 157 liters. So .25g x 150 liters = 37.5 grams total for my 3 demis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I was able to get some some Fermaid-K a my local shop. The PDF (http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/Fermaid_K.pdf) suggests 5 grams per 20 liters so 0.25grams per liter. If my calculations are correct that's way less than 45 teaspoons. I'm making 3 demijohns so ... thats 157 liters. So .25g x 150 liters = 37.5 grams total for my 3 demis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If 5 grams per 20 liters is per Fermaid K instructions, 37.5 grams per 150 liters mathematically is also correct. You referenced 157 liters, then used 150 in your calculations... which is it?

robie said:
If 5 grams per 20 liters is per Fermaid K instructions, 37.5 grams per 150 liters mathematically is also correct. You referenced 157 liters, then used 150 in your calculations... which is it?

Actually I'm not 100% sure on the liter amount exactly ... I'm making 18 cases of fresh grapes which I've been told would yield 150-157 liters.

Last edited:
Ok so seems like most recommend adding the DAP. I'll try to get my hands on some and add it ...before pitching. Do I need to dilute it or just add it to the must. I'm making 3 demijohns so I need 45 teaspoons? Is that correct? BTW does DAP affect the taste?

I'm interested in knowing how to add the DAP as well and if you suggest using Natural Yeast Hulls.

After reading around ... I used Fermaid-k and added 1g per gallon divided in 2. Half 24 hours after pitching yeast and the other half at aprox 1/3 sugar depletion. Don't know if its optimal but its lookin good so far.

Fermentation is still going strong but i did detect a slight egg smell when pushing the cap down last night. After the push down and a good stir i couldn't really detect any smell. What do you guys think ..Should i up the nutrient level a little today? So far the only nutrient i used was fermaid-k 1g / gallon spread over 2 applicaitons.

Sounds fine where it is. Just follow the directions for the nutrient. It's not that unusual to get a little H2S at punch down, especially if it goes away immediately. One of the reasons for punching down is to release it.

Latest posts

Back