Do I need more sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I stabilized my candy cane wine 2 months ago, and I have racked it once since then, adding k-meta, but no additional sorbate. I am planning on racking and sweetening soon. Since it has been so long do I need to add more sorbate to ensure no renewed fermentation or is what I put in 2 months ago still working?

Not sure why I stabilized so early, but I remember that it was finished fermenting when I did it.

but can you wait to add the sorbate? Like a month before bottling? Or is it better to add it sooner so that the aromas go away?

I do usually wait until a lot closer to bottling, usually the last racking before I sweeten (if I'm sweetening it anyways). I'm not sure how everyone else does it, but that would be a month before sweetening. Then I wait at least a week before bottling. I'm still not sure why I got so far ahead of myself this time.

I'm pretty sure that after sweetening I have a couple months of clearing to do again as I intend to sweeten with a candy cane f-pac.

Last edited:
You can add it at anytime and it doesnt add any flavor or taste if used in the proper amount.

Back