Do I have to leave in primary for 14 days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocha

Reaction score
I know I read this somewhere but cant find it now, the new instructions have me leaving the kit in the primary for 14 days but do I have to? Life got away from me and I've got 5 kits to make and want my primary for the next kit. The old instructions had me racking at 7 days, what happens if I rack then if my sg is at the right number?

You should, in fact, go by the SG, not by the time. Kit instructions are "for amusement purposes only."
I nearly just spit out my coffee! Thank you, I thought so, my basement is cool so it may very well be 14 days anyway....i ordered another primary bucket (shhhhh dont tell my husband!!!)

Let the grapes be your guide. If it is done fermenting, as shown by your hydrometer, it is done. You can often do more harm than good letting a ferment that has been completed sit there.

I generally agree with go by your SG. Except with kits that contain skins or if you add skins. Most if not all of the kit manufactures are suggesting 14 days in the primary for skin kits. In fact quite a few people are going longer that 14 days, it's called Extended Maceration, you can find more info if you search this site. I usually go anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks and the results are worth it. You still need to make sure your wine has reached your desired SG and then let it set.

Thank you, I plan on making a kit with skins since I read a lot about the quality of these kits.

I generally agree with go by your SG. Except with kits that contain skins or if you add skins. Most if not all of the kit manufactures are suggesting 14 days in the primary for skin kits. In fact quite a few people are going longer that 14 days, it's called Extended Maceration, you can find more info if you search this site. I usually go anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks and the results are worth it. You still need to make sure your wine has reached your desired SG and then let it set.

I’m familiar with extended maceration, but I don’t make wine from kits, so I suppose different rules apply. This isn’t something I would do with fresh grapes.

Latest posts

Back