Do I add Oak to this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never done a "juice bucket" until a several weeks ago when I received a 6.5gal Malbec and 6.5 Pino Noir out of California from my LBS. All I had to do was remove the lid, stir 1x/day and let it do it's thing. Initial SG readings were recorded.

I've done an initial racking from the plastic PF buckets(s) into glass carboys for each. They continue to off-gas and ferment I suppose as I've not added K-Sorbate yet. SG last time I checked was .994 at that racking.

Two questions.
1) Do these type of wines get Oaked? I simply don't know the taste profile for either.
2) Will the CO2 off-gas all by itself over time? (it's really reduced, but still there)

Both carboys are sitting still at the moment with a bubbler on top and I don't see any activity except if I move/jiggle the carboy.

Looking forward to some replies so I can either oak, or start the waiting game. :)

Thx-
~m

Oak is opinion, so here is mine.

Both of those will benefit from oak. Have a light touch, especially on the Pinot Noir.

As you rack back and forth CO2 does tend to dissipate. It takes about a year.

Do you need the K-sorbate? Not sure I'd add that, but I have never done a juice bucket.

Light oak, medium toast. No sorbate unless you are going to sweeten, but you do want potassium metabisulfate. Give the wine 9+ months, it will degass on its own.

Back