Do any of you hobby Vintners use ao oak barrel for aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings All,

Another new guy question. So much to learn. I've watched many of the starter/hobby YouTubes and they just leave the wine in the Carboys until bottle time. I see you can get small oak barrels. Does anyone do this?

Dave

Many people do, yes. It definitely brings your wine making to 'the next level'.

Greetings All,

Another new guy question. So much to learn. I've watched many of the starter/hobby YouTubes and they just leave the wine in the Carboys until bottle time. I see you can get small oak barrels. Does anyone do this?

Dave

Yep, lots of us use barrels. We have a member on the forum @mainshipfred who set himself up as a dealer and offer barrels to our members at cost (plus shipping of course) a couple times a year. Many of us have also used the small barrels from Vadai Wine Barrels (but I note that their website seems to be expired?????). You can also get Vadai barrels from MoreWine.

Thought the same, so I called the old number I had, no answer......

Looks like MoreWine only has 20L and 120L available. The 23 liter shows "out of stock" and the 50L shows "on backorder". I know it looked like they were struggling after Sandor passed.

I’ve used 30 and 60 gallon barrels, but now just the 60. There is something special about the 60 gallon barrel and why it’s become the worlds standard for fine wine.

Latest posts

Back