Quantcast

Diy

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Tahdi

Junior
Reaction score
Is there a DIY section on this site? I've tried searching to no avail. Thanks.

Tahdi

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks dralarms. I'm trying to adjust to site navigation here. I am more used to the homebrew forum. Their DIY section is a mix of creativity and saving money.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I tend to think that brewers approach their brewing more like engineers and so there is a great deal of DIY construction activity whereas wine makers tend to approach wine making more like parents or gardeners and so their approach is more organic and far less mechanical- and so there is far less focus on what our fermentation set up looks like and ways we use to control temperature using high tech wizardry that involves, electronics, metal work, knowledge of electrical wiring and the like...A bucket is a primary fermenter and beyond the need for tubes to rack and an airlock there are few other costs (I am ignoring the tools used to press the fruit) beyond an hydrometer, sanitizer and bottles and corks. No need for steel kettles with a half dozen orifices and a controllable heat source that can put out thousands of BTUs. OK - perhaps we use a pH meter. But wine makers typically don't even use stir plates or have a need to create starters or culture the yeasts found in bottles.
With wine makers, there is relatively speaking very little cost involved beyond the cost of what we ferment. So saving money involves skimping on the quality of the fruit and honey we use and that's being pound foolish to be penny wise

Last edited:

Redbird1

Reaction score
Also, share pictures of all your tinkering. I'm a tinkerer too, but haven't found the need for much tinkering in this hobby yet. I can be easily convinced though. :h

Latest posts