DIY wooden grape boxes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been saving the wooden grape crates to use on some sort of DIY project. Probably enough to build something at this point. Problem is that I don’t have a clue what to use em for yet.
Initially i was gonna do a couple bottle racks but now leaning towards using as a ‘wallpaper’ sorta. Like a pallet wall style. But I actually just did a pallet wall in our family room renovation I’m in the midst of so I may just have tunnel vision. Otherwise I got nothin. any suggestions or past experiences are welcome.

I do think Pallet wall style would look cool on a wall in the wine room.

IMG_7035.JPGIMG_7046.JPG

I had a bar framed out in the unfinished basement of our old house. My plan was to procure wooden wine case 'ends' w/ the labels on them and do the front of the bar with them. I like your idea of the grape boxes.

I had a bar framed out in the unfinished basement of our old house. My plan was to procure wooden wine case 'ends' w/ the labels on them and do the front of the bar with them. I like your idea of the grape boxes.

Never ended up doing it tho?

The “wallpaper” is my fallback. I wanna actually build something with them tho.

@Ajmassa5983
I worked on a hotel design in San Antonio, and we made a mirror with dark pieces of wood over top of it. Hard to describe, but kind of like this image below. You could also do shadow boxes, like the second image.

Outstanding-Reclaimed-Wood-Wall-Art-14-620x930.jpg

original_hexagon-mirror-shelves.jpg

Never ended up doing it tho?

The “wallpaper” is my fallback. I wanna actually build something with them tho.

No - the bar in the unfinished basement became my wine bench. Then we sold the house. Well, it wasn't really a bar - just a frame nailed into the foundation w/ an OSB top. I've helped build a few bars in my day and I've noticed that progress really slows down as soon as there is a flat surface to set a drink on...

I do like that mirror piece idea a lot heather. Going on the list.
The bottle rack idea coulda been cool to make and gift. Everything I found on google didn’t fit my vision which I liked. = unique. But I nixed because I figured most people wouldn’t want to put up this mismatched color schemed rack/glass holder in a kitchen or area that likely already is decorated a certain way.
And Boatboy I can attest! I’ve built ~a dozen home bars at this point. The ones I was paid for obviously were finished. The ones I lent a hand hit a standstill once drinks were poured.
I’m sure I’ll have an ‘aha’ moment at some point and will know exactly what to build.

I'm surprised the suppliers are still using wooden lugs, I've noticed the wood quality dropping off over the years, and rightly so, as most lugs just get pitched. Soon you'll have to figure out what to do with those new plastic lugs.

I'm surprised the suppliers are still using wooden lugs, I've noticed the wood quality dropping off over the years, and rightly so, as most lugs just get pitched. Soon you'll have to figure out what to do with those new plastic lugs.

Ain’t that the truth. My dad has a couple from back in the day. Suckers are solid. Not like today. But I suppose still cheaper than the other types. I think it’s mainly Central Valley suppliers.
Southern Hemisphere and premium Cali grapes come in either that cdx type material folded up box or the plastic crates.
I did actually a find some good uses for the plastic crates too. Needed to sift out rocks from our flower beds. And another in the sink when I’ve got multiple small items and glass to clean.

We trimmed one of the plastic ones down a bit and stuck it in our freezer on the bottom shelf where it's a pain to dig anything out of. Now it's a drawer of sorts so you can just pull it out and reach everything without having to go digging for stuff in the back. Looks a bit ghetto but it works great.

Latest posts

Back