Other Diy wine in a box??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdrew

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another big expense (and source of garbage!) are the bottles. Anyone tried using these boxes?

https://astrapouch-na.com/
$28
3L Wine Bag-In-Box Kits [Eco-Friendly Wine Bottle Alternative] - Easily Bottle, Dispense & Store Your Wines - Perfect For Home Winemakers (3L Bag-In-Box Kits, 6 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7MZ6WS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6M5Y579VMABJTSV9XDZ3?psc=1

I could also just get a couple cases of flip top bottles and keep em myself.And put the other half in bottles to bring places and give away.

I have used them as variable size carboys. The quality/ resistance to oxidation was good. They seem to delaminate over a few months, but it didn’t hurt quality. They can hold more than the rating on the web. I don’t think they dry well so I wash/ rinse, ,, and then rinse the water out with grain alcohol.

Yes you’re right on that count too. I should reuse them also! When/if I ever get them back from my friends, sometimes they’ll have skanky old mold wine bits in the bottom, and those are real tough to clean - more difficult than using a new bottle.

I think on this next batch, I’ll put a “reuse me” sticker on there and make more of an effort to do that on my own. I drink enough of my product, I should just have a batch in the pipes at all times! Certainly save me money!

thanks all

When/if I ever get them back from my friends, sometimes they’ll have skanky old mold wine bits in the bottom, and those are real tough to clean - more difficult than using a new bottle.
Ya gotta be blunt-n-firm. I bottle some wine in bottles I don't want back (odd shapes, thick necks, etc) which I give to folks where I don't expect to get the bottle back, anyway. Everyone else is informed that if I don't get a clean bottle back, they won't get another one. "Clean" isn't hard -- rinse and put upside down in the kitchen drying rack.

I visually inspect all returned bottles and rinse in hot top water, regardless of how clean they look. If I see foreign material, I soak in Oxiclean and rinse twice. If anything is stubborn, I have a bottle brush, but that gets used rarely enough that I clean IT before using it.

Another big expense (and source of garbage!) are the bottles. Anyone tried using these boxes?

https://astrapouch-na.com/
$28
3L Wine Bag-In-Box Kits [Eco-Friendly Wine Bottle Alternative] - Easily Bottle, Dispense & Store Your Wines - Perfect For Home Winemakers (3L Bag-In-Box Kits, 6 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7MZ6WS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6M5Y579VMABJTSV9XDZ3?psc=1

I could also just get a couple cases of flip top bottles and keep em myself.And put the other half in bottles to bring places and give away.

I use something like that, but don't remember the brand. I've been re-using the bags for several years. I only use them for our everynight, not-for-aging wines, and usually the whites, though, but not for any particular reason. I use the stainless steel fustino for the everynight, not-for-aging reds.

Saves a lot of time not having to bottle the everyday stuff.

Wayne

About to start my first 6 gallon (did some 3 gallon kits before) inexpensive kit with tweaks on another tread. Plan is to have an 'everyday wine' to enjoy and ready 'quickly' and as new batches are made, move to actually aging. BIB is not an 'aging' solution, but for wine that will be drinked quickly, seems like a good choice. This is what I am planning to do.
Have been looking at this type of bags.
3 Liter BIB Bag BAG IN BOX Wine Bags With Tap For HomeBrew Wine Dispenser 5 Pack | eBay

About to start my first 6 gallon (did some 3 gallon kits before) inexpensive kit with tweaks on another tread. Plan is to have an 'everyday wine' to enjoy and ready 'quickly' and as new batches are made, move to actually aging. BIB is not an 'aging' solution, but for wine that will be drinked quickly, seems like a good choice. This is what I am planning to do.
Have been looking at this type of bags.
3 Liter BIB Bag BAG IN BOX Wine Bags With Tap For HomeBrew Wine Dispenser 5 Pack | eBay

I've been using those for years, for exactly the same reason and exactly the same way that you are planning. I have also been re-using the bags, even though you're not really supposed to. The mylar is very tough (but not infallible). I've had no disasters or spoiled wine. Just make sure you don't put the spigots in the bags all the way. The first "click" is enough (otherwise the spigot will "lock in" and it will be impossible or nearly impossible to remove for re-use). And make sure all the air is out of the bag. I do that by putting the spigot in and pressing gently on the bag while it's lying flat, holding the spigot button down until a drop or two of the wine comes out. Obviously the bag should be lying spigot-side-up.

I use them for my everyday whites only. The everyday reds go into the 30-liter fustino.

I don't use them for my premium wines, just the everyday stuff like the WinExpert Cellar Classic series or the Fontana kits you can find on Amazon.

Last edited:
I've been using those for years, for exactly the same reason and exactly the same way that you are planning. I have also been re-using the bags, even though you're not really supposed to. The mylar is very tough (but not infallible). I've had no disasters or spoiled wine. Just make sure you don't put the spigots in the bags all the way. The first "click" is enough (otherwise the spigot will "lock in" and it will be impossible or nearly impossible to remove for re-use). And make sure all the air is out of the bag. I do that by putting the spigot in and pressing gently on the bag while it's lying flat, holding the spigot button down until a drop or two of the wine comes out. Obviously the bag should be lying spigot-side-up.

I use them for my everyday whites only. The everyday reds go into the 30-liter fustino.

I don't use them for my premium wines, just the everyday stuff like the WinExpert Cellar Classic series or the Fontana kits you can find on Amazon.
Prospect of labor involved in bottling 10s of bottles of wine that will be consumed in 1-2 months is not very appealing. My plan is to bottle age several bottles from these cheaper kits from each batch and take notes on how they improve with time, but bag 2/3+ from each batch.
Do you use a box for dispensing as OP posted a link to amazon page? My preference of mylar vs clear plastic bag, is because this would allow me to leave full bags on a shelf and not worry about any possible detrimental effects of exposure to light.

Prospect of labor involved in bottling 10s of bottles of wine that will be consumed in 1-2 months is not very appealing.
A friend bottled all his wines (200 gallons per year) in gallon jugs. When he needed wine, he decanted a gallon into five 750s.

His cellar was amazing. First time in I thought I was walking down a hallway, until I realized the walls were made up of 4 count boxes of gallon jugs, floor to ceiling.

Prospect of labor involved in bottling 10s of bottles of wine that will be consumed in 1-2 months is not very appealing. My plan is to bottle age several bottles from these cheaper kits from each batch and take notes on how they improve with time, but bag 2/3+ from each batch.
Do you use a box for dispensing as OP posted a link to amazon page? My preference of mylar vs clear plastic bag, is because this would allow me to leave full bags on a shelf and not worry about any possible detrimental effects of exposure to light.

That's exactly why I use the bag-in-a-box system and the fustino.

I don't use the cardboard box thing. Mine looks like a small plastic wastebasket with a hole at the bottom of one side for the tap to stick out of.

I've had this so long I don't remember where I got it.

tempImageqG0Gh1.png

I think that looks like the Wine on Tap system sold at homebrewing.org. I am sure other stores carry it, just ordered today so it is at the top of my mind.

Yes! That's exactly what it's called, but I still don't remember where I got it, it was so long ago.

Latest posts

Back