DIY Vacuum Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-16 will transfer but won't do much to degas.

yes that is correct ^ I did look at that pump and there was nothing mentioned about LPM - It may take a long time to transfer because of the design of this style of pump, and it definitely will not be able to degass as you transfer unless you put a valve on it in order to build up the vacuum and operate the valve manually from time to time.

Steve, I've been debating getting a pump/filter for a little while now. Recently took a friend's mini-jet for a test drive. Because I'd set it in a drip pan whose sides were a little too high, the intake didn't get a great seal. The result was air in my first gallon or so. It didn't impress me much. It seems that my wine making friends are equally divided on the subject, so they're no help. I don't know anyone who has the all-in-one and I know that it's gotten excellent reviews here and other places. I just wanted to see for myself how necessary filtering was. Thanks for the reply. Pete

Steve, I've been debating getting a pump/filter for a little while now. Recently took a friend's mini-jet for a test drive. Because I'd set it in a drip pan whose sides were a little too high, the intake didn't get a great seal. The result was air in my first gallon or so. It didn't impress me much. It seems that my wine making friends are equally divided on the subject, so they're no help. I don't know anyone who has the all-in-one and I know that it's gotten excellent reviews here and other places. I just wanted to see for myself how necessary filtering was. Thanks for the reply. Pete

there are alot of variables to your question .

I would prefer to answer any question or concern you may have over the phone - so there is no communication errors.

so please PM me with your phone # and I will be more than happy to call you

I picked up one of theses a few years ago when i needed to replace the AC compressor on my SUV.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

I'm thinking I can make or buy a few accessories and use it to degas, transfer and bottle.

I took this from my FAQ's

Can I use the standard A/C vacuum pumps that I have seen advertised and on some Wine Forums?

It is very hard to control the vacuum while transferring or bottling.

They are loud.

They are heavy!!

It is more complicated. You would still need a vacuum reservoir and release valve, possible gauges, and more. They use oil and it is critical that the oil level always be maintained or the pump will burn out.

After continued use, oil fumes can be smelled in the room. During use the oil from the unit escapes from the air valve pooling on your “soaker rag” under the a/c vacuum pump.

Yes, I have used and experimented with the a/c vacuum pump for a long time. Through years of experimentation I invented the best vacuum pump for home wine makers on the market today. Our pumps are oil free!! No smell, quiet, only pulls up to 22 inches of vacuum, less chance of carboy mishaps, more controllable and lighter and easier to use

I took this from my FAQ's

Can I use the standard A/C vacuum pumps that I have seen advertised and on some Wine Forums?

It is very hard to control the vacuum while transferring or bottling.

They are loud.

They are heavy!!

It is more complicated. You would still need a vacuum reservoir and release valve, possible gauges, and more. They use oil and it is critical that the oil level always be maintained or the pump will burn out.

After continued use, oil fumes can be smelled in the room. During use the oil from the unit escapes from the air valve pooling on your “soaker rag” under the a/c vacuum pump.

Yes, I have used and experimented with the a/c vacuum pump for a long time. Through years of experimentation I invented the best vacuum pump for home wine makers on the market today. Our pumps are oil free!! No smell, quiet, only pulls up to 22 inches of vacuum, less chance of carboy mishaps, more controllable and lighter and easier to use

Thanks for the reply, Steve. All of the disadvantages you mention are somewhat true, but since I already own a pump, I'm not sure I need to buy another one. It's really hard for me to justify buying one of your pumps just because mine is a bit louder and heavier than yours.

On the other hand, I may be interested in purchasing some of your accessories if they will work with my pump.

Anthony

Please pm me with your phone number and I can find out what you have and need.

It's always easier to talk rather than typing and missing something

WOW - this is an old thread !

I believe the pump you are currently looking at is a similar one to the OP's original design.

I highly suggest trying it - if you need assistance in the process - Give me a PM

Welcome to Wine Making Talk, , , as Steve says, this is an old thread.
This Vacuum Pump looks like it might be better spec'd: I haven't build this yet, but in the beginning stages of putting together a kit - The OP's pictures aren't coming up for me, so I may attempt a new build and post updated pictures?
the 12 volt plastic vacuum pump should do within an inch Hg of what I have measured from a 120 volt air conditioning vacuum pump. Your major risk is that plastic isn’t as robust as the 120V tool. , , In seven years I have replaced one, (as well as a peristaltic pump).
If you had labs in college the set up is similar. Vinyl hardware store tubing works well. Silicone tubing does better at holding long term vacuum/ preventing leakage on joints. I have posted photos on a number of WMT threads that include the 12 volt vacuum set up.

Latest posts

Back