DIY bird net applicator

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I just finished putting up that exact netting except I did side netting rather than over the top.. I do notice the pictures are in early spring before there is a canopy. Anyway, it is a nice wintertime project, I might like the roll up for storage option.

We spent one day trying to figure out how to unroll 5000 foot rolls of 42 inch netting. We tried vertically on a t post and a spare wheel. No. Finally, we took a pipe (half of a jack post) and threaded a rope through the pipe for a handle and put the pipe through the cardboard tube of netting. One person stood at the end of the row and held the netting and the other (me) pulled the roll up or down the row rolling the netting out on the grass. After unrolling the entire length of the row, we cut the netting and hung it to the catch wires until both sides were hung. Then I had to go back and adjust and clip together. It worked pretty well although there needed a little adjustment here and there, the roll would pull the holder uphill. Downhill was great.

We are debating leaving it under the vines year round or rolling up for storage.

Thanks for the link Bryan; netting installation is a difficult and time consuming job. It has to be done, though or there is no crop.

Glad to be of service!

I follow the grape growing threads, although it's unlikely I'll ever grow my own. I'm in Muscadine country and they are not my taste. If I moved 40 miles north-west I could grow hybrids, but don't expect that to happen.

If you have a burning desire to grow hybrids, I can probably share rooted cuttings or layered vines. Everyone should have the pain...uh I mean joy of growing grapes. :i

If you have a burning desire to grow hybrids, I can probably share rooted cuttings or layered vines. Everyone should have the pain...uh I mean joy of growing grapes. :i
Thanks, but from my research, I won't get good results. Also, while I have 1.5 acres, about half is wooded and I don't believe I'll get good sun.

Some good ideas but That’s one wobbly looking roll up device! I could (probably will) make that out of wood and/or welded tube. It would be sturdier with about half the complexity.

I have seen applicator devices shaped like an L that attach to a tractor and hold the roll above the vines. I’ll be making one of those for sure.

I’ll make spools for the netting with pvc pipe and wooden spool ends.

Bird netting is a pain in the butt to install and every year I get more stressed out by it but it’s a necessary evil.
Amen. This is the first I've done and it was easier than I expected. It did take the better part of a week because of near constant downpours. I keep worrying about the birds getting through the nets. Guess I have to have something to worry about.

I combine netting with bird scare devices. The idea is to keep them away, or scare them away, before they figure out how to compromise the nets. Works well if I get the nets and tape on early. Last year, I was habitually late, and they had learned there was a food source before I got nets on. They were a constant pain from then on.

I leave the tape on the nets when I take them off. The tape lasts a season or two before needing replaced.

H

Attachments

• 20220813_165443.jpg
    20220813_165443.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
I combine netting with bird scare devices. The idea is to keep them away, or scare them away, before they figure out how to compromise the nets. Works well if I get the nets and tape on early. Last year, I was habitually late, and they had learned there was a food source before I got nets on. They were a constant pain from then on.

I leave the tape on the nets when I take them off. The tape lasts a season or two before needing replaced.

H
What is the tape for?

It is iridescent flash tape to scare off birds. I have some I tried on my grapes last year. The racoons just laughed while they continued to harvest the grapes. I used it on my fig tree last year. I'm not sure how well it worked. I have a couple rolls left. I may just use on the figs again. I think it helped with the figs.

The racoons just laughed while they continued to harvest the grapes....

Their laughter is short lived around here :)

Side note, we adopted a dog last winter. We have seen a significant reduction in coon pressure this year with her around, which is interesting because we don't leave her out at night. Haven't seen any turkeys either, which were a new pest last year.

H

Last edited:
It is iridescent flash tape to scare off birds. I have some I tried on my grapes last year. The racoons just laughed while they continued to harvest the grapes. I used it on my fig tree last year. I'm not sure how well it worked. I have a couple rolls left. I may just use on the figs again. I think it helped with the figs.
Ouch, Racoons suck and are a major pain. Birds have been going after my vines despite having nets, I’m getting a super small crop cause of nutrient issues with my soil which I’m currently fighting so losing anymore fruit is going to hurt.

I tie my nets together on the drip line and use bamboo poles to hold the nets out away from the grapes…seems to work pretty well.

Latest posts

Back