DIY acid blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't get acid blend at any of my LHBS. I can however get the three acids separately: tartaric, citric, malic. Is a standard storebought acid blend just a 1:1:1 blend of the three or is it a different ratio?

Honestly you might be better off doing some research if you make something other than grape wine. (Fruit wine as in Country Fruit - Apple, Peach Blackberry etc)

Here's an article about acid blend including the percentages normally in grapes and in very common brand Acid Blend Mix.

http://winemakersacademy.org/acid-blends-wine-making/

I do make more country wines and meads than grape wines. This was helpful, thanks. I've been meaning to step it up a notch and start measuring acid levels. I guess I will make up a small batch of acid blend according to the given ratio in the article to have some on hand, as well as have each kind on its own, and use accordingly to type of fruit and established recipe guidelines.

I was thinking to have it mainly for cider in lieu of crabapples. According to the article there are 2 types of malic acid, one mlf compatible and one not. The malic acid I bought is apparently intended for candymaking etc and says it's a chemically pure malic acid (C4H6O6). So which of the two that is, I will have to research.

I was thinking to have it mainly for cider in lieu of crabapples. According to the article there are 2 types of malic acid, one mlf compatible and one not. The malic acid I bought is apparently intended for candymaking etc and says it's a chemically pure malic acid (C4H6O6). So which of the two that is, I will have to research.

Both types are C4H6O6, they are isomers. Think of them as left-handed and right-handed versions of the same molecule.

For most of my fruit wines I quit using acid blend and went to either straight tartaric or a custom tartaric/citric blend at 80/20 ratio with good results.

How do i know which i have then? Or is there no way to know without some kind of advanced testing?

So when a recipe calls for acid blend you just use your custom blend? Does it make a difference between straight tartaric or tar/citric blend?

I think you generally have to assume that store-bought malic is 50% d-isomer and 50% l-isomer.

I don't use recipes any more. I adjust the pH and TA to the desired levels which vary depending on the wine. I'll use a tart/citric blend if the fruit wine has any citric or if I think citric might favorably enhance a wine (ie, lemongrass wine).

How do i know which i have then? Or is there no way to know without some kind of advanced testing?

So when a recipe calls for acid blend you just use your custom blend? Does it make a difference between straight tartaric or tar/citric blend?

As Stressbaby says, you probably have a 50-50 blend. But, more to the point: Who cares? As far as taste is concerned, the isomers are the same. The only reason to care about whether it is one isomer or the other is if you are planning to do malolactic fermentation (MLF). The MLF bacteria care which isomer it is, but your taste buds do not.

Yeah I started to use Malic in an apple wine a couple of years ago before I realized (learned) about MLF and I certainly wasn't ready to dive into that area. Still holding off on that as I don't see any particular gain for my fruit wines.... but then I'm still learning each time I read a bit more and try something new.

Latest posts

Back