Divide MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
When time for MLF, and you have more than one carboy, demijohn or barrel, how do you make sure that you get enough into each vessel?

Thanks,
Steve

I'm usually doing 30 gallons at most at one time - usually 24 or less, actually. The packets come with enough for 66 gallons. I don't sweat it too much.

I mix up the MLB, chlorine free water, and Acti-ML in solution as directed, which typically yields around 300 ml of solution, and divide the well mixed solution equally between each vessel if they are the same size. If they are different sizes, it gets doled out proportionally.

Are you hydrating it before inoculating? Normal bag of bacteria is about 2.5g. Good for 66gal. And an entire 50g bag of act-ML gets used for 2.5g of ml.

I mix it up with whatever amount of water is instructed in a measuring cup and then proportionately inoculate each vessel.

As long as I don’t have more than 66gal of wine then I’m cool and just ballpark the proportions in mL since I have it in a measuring cup

According to instructions for CH-16, inoculate directly no rehydration not necessary. That said, is it harmful to rehydrate first?

Steve

According to instructions for CH-16, inoculate directly no rehydration not necessary. That said, is it harmful to rehydrate first?

Steve

They all say that. As mentioned, the packet can dose 66 gallons. If you're going direct into a 6gal carboy, you just need to get 10% of that into each carboy.

One of the few times that packagers thought about packaging quantities (other than hot dog and bun makers). One 2.5 g pack of MLB needs 20 times its weight in Acti-ML, and Acti-ML comes in 50 g packs - nice!!! Acti-ML needs to be mixed into 250 ml of water, it's just too easy to rehydrate. The only thing you have to measure is the water...........mix in the Acti-ML, mix in the MLB, let sit 15 minutes, done deal............

I get small plastic cups and make individual batches. Probably don’t need to, but that way I know each container got what it was suppose to get. I then have blue tape to mark each carboy as I put whatever it is in (SO2, malo, etc). It has been more than a few times where I get distracted and then not 100% sure what I did to what.

I just guesstimate and make sure I give some to all. Of course, I am usually doing 30-40 gallons at a time, so if some get a little more, it's all good. I write down on my sheet of paper attached to each carboy when I add something, to keep from adding it twice or never to any given carboy. Actually, I have my cellar rat write it down, so that we can read it later.

Latest posts

Back