dive in head first

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubz

Boozer
Reaction score
lol
so ive decided to make some use of all the berries ive picked

didnt weigh them so i coudlnt tell you exactly how many but i ended up with almost a gallon of juice

so i mashed em up real good with my hands(the potatoe masher wasnt doing the job i liked) heated them on the stove to a slow boil then let them sit and cool
so its time to strain the pulp into my primary so i did this into some cheese cloth and saved the pulp to soak in the must over night

let it sit a while then went to the store to pick up some sugar and apple juice to add to it(trust me it tastes awesome right now)

i get back fro mthe store and it had been sitting still no stirring in it for about an hour so youd think it wouldnt have any bubbles in it
i took the top off to look and its bubbling already on its own with no yeast in it YAY
so am i right thinking this is a good sign and wont have much trouble fermenting?

heres a picture i snapped of it for some reason i had left the spoon laying in there
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=39&pictureid=273

If you did not add sulfites it is fermenting but with what? Mold spores? Wild yeast that will taste like garbage?? Odds are you wont like the results.

Do you have a recipe. What else did you or will you add and what berries are these?

I have found that K meta bubbles up a little (or slow foams) - am I imagining this?

didnt really use a recipe Wade just kind of threw it together and it tastes ok

its blueberries raspberries and apple juice

just wondering if it was good it was trying to ferment on its own bfor i put anything in it besides the berries and some water

its mostly an experiement i already had the yeast and the berries were free of course so all im out is the price of sugar and $5 worth of apple juice if it doesnt work so no biggy
still trying to decide how much sugar to add though

Last edited:
As you have boiled the berries all wild yeast that came from nature will have been killed.
So fermentation is now done by any airborne yeast that was floating in your kitchen.

It might turn out good and it might not.
I had a 30 liter dandelion spoiling this way:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/04/een-ongenode-gast-uninvited-guest.html

Best way to go is to add sulphite to kill of any yeast that is now at work. However do not use too much yeast otherwise your cultured yeast that you will be adding will get stunned.

Take a sample of the juice, measure acidity and SG and adjust the must accordingly. You stated you have a gallon of juice, so that should not be too hard.

Make a yeast starter, wait 24 hours and add that.
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

Luc

I have found that K meta bubbles up a little (or slow foams) - am I imagining this?[/quote]
Yes. ..
Yes Bettyj you are imagining it.
Sorry to be the one to tell you.;)

Oh but it can. If there is alot of gas or not finished it can "foam" a little. To help prevent it is to dissolve it in a small amount of water before adding.

Thanks for the confirmation! I usually just crush them up and add the powder, but will try dissolving them in the future.

I had observed this pre-fermentation (had the fleeting thought or panic that wild yeast was taking over) and my wine turned out just fine (in some cases, great). :)

Latest posts

Back