Distilled Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Reaction score
Ive read conflicting reports abot using distilled water in both Kit wines

and country wines. I would like some feedback as to has anyone ever

used this and did you notice any flavor difference as opposed to

say spring water?

Bill

Bill I'm not totally sure but I think I've read that distilled water is light on 0² and maybe other key ingredients for winemaking. If I am wrong somebody please correct me, as I would like to know for sure also.

berryEdited by: Berrywine

When you say spring water do you mean water from your spring or water in a bottle labeled Spring Water? We just use city water that we either brought to a boil and cooled or just let sit for 24 hrs. (Both these methods will remove most of the chlorine from the water.) We've never had a problem with these methods, and the price is right!

Aloha Bill,

Regarding water in wine, my past experiences in using our city water is a no-no. Especially if you can smell any odors of a chlorine base which is used to kill off known bacteria, etc. in the city water. Here, well there is alot of chlorine and other chemicals being used. As for "Distilled Water,"that's exactly what it is...distilled. All the minerals in the water has been removed. Let "Mama" have it for her ironing needs.

The wine yeast depends also on amounts of minerals as well as nutrients added to the wine to live and thrive. As for "Spring Water," it has the trace minerals needed by the yeast, and I see better production and "no off-odors" noticed. When purchasing "Spring Water," make sure you read the label. Some of them claim it as spring water and it is really not. Check the source on the label...

Bottom line is, since you are spending all that money and time to make a good wine,....?

smiley1.gif
My 2 cents..

I agree with Joe. I buy the gallon jugs of spring water from Wal-Mart for like 67 cents each and I know exactly where it comes from, Hot Springs National Park. That water has a very high concentration of essential minerals, and I always have very good results with it. If you use distilled water, be sure and stir very well to get oxygen into it and use nutrients.

Whenever you boil water you remove all the oxygen and other gasses from
it, the little bubbles that form on the pan are not pre-boiling bubbles
but are the disolved gasses comming out of solution.
smiley23.gif

Thanks all, I always use spring water and have never had any problems, but I know I read where some expert winemakers use only distilled water. I know distilled water is lacking essential minerals and such, so I just couldn't figure out why anyone would use it. Thought maybe I was missing something. I stick to what I know and use spring water. Also I need to check out Wal Mart, that is a good price for spring water.

Bill

Good price indeed....I pay almost $2.00 a gallon here. Middle-man, + freight, +++
smiley11.gif

AAASTINKIE said:
Whenever you boil water you remove all the oxygen and other gasses from it, the little bubbles that form on the pan are not pre-boiling bubbles but are the disolved gasses comming out of solution.
smiley23.gif

Okay, I need some help here. Rocket scientist and chemist I am not. From the one time I paid attention in science class I got that water's chemical make-up is H2O. That being hydrogen and oxygen. If you bring water to a boiland the oxygen comes out of it, what is the liquid left if the pot? This is why I didn't take chemistry. Stinkie, I need some science knowledge here! Help me!
smiley5.gif

The gasses coming out of solution are not H2O being broken down but regular air molecules that have disolved into the liquid, just like when you disolve sugar into the water you have H2O and sugar, still seperate but mixed together. The warmer water is the less able it is to hold disolved gasses (where as at higher temps it is more able to hold disolved solids like sugar) after it boils it is basically free of all disolved gases.

polishwinep,

You are both right to a degree. Water contains a certain amount free oxygen, but it also contains other free gases as well. The boiling of water dosn't break down the molecular stuctue of water. It just excites the molocules until the make a phase shift and becomes steam. The loss of water as it becomes steam is where most of the reduction comes from.

Chris
smiley4.gif
Edited by: greenbean

Thanks! I almost understand it!
smiley17.gif
Because of this science block in my head, each time I help with the acid tests poor Bert has to explain it over and over again. One of these days it will actually make sense to me! Poor Bert!

Caution: Do not read this post if you have been drinking, it may cause you to stumble and fall down.

When I first came here I said I would explain the "latent heat of evaporization" here is my attempt. The numbers given here are not allfactual, I don't have time to get my engineering books out.

It takes about 70 btu's to bring one pound of water from 32 degrees F to 212 degrees F, to turn that same pound of water to steam WITHOUT CHANGING TEMPERATURE it takes 970.3 btu's, you just changed states liquid to a gas, there are 3 states, solid (ice), liquid (water), gas (steam), the secret of steam is when it converts back to a liquid IT MUST FIRST GIVE UP THE 970.3 btu's OF HEAT. If you put a thermometer in a pan of water you are going to boil it will get to 212 rather quickly then sit there before it boils collecting the required btu's to convert to steam.

It works the same way with ice, you must give up around 300+/- btu's to change states from a liquid to a solid. That's why they put salt on ice when making icecream tho hurry the process of the change of states to force the removal of btu's from the cream to help it freeze by forcing the ice to change states from a solid to a liquid and pulling the needed heat from the icecream.

That's why your feet get so cold when you get snow in your boot it takes extra heat from your foot to make the ice change to a liquid!!

Why do we use steam? It is a way to turn heat energy into mechanical energy, we can't turn a turbine generator with heat to make electricity, but we can boil water and produce steam and drive a turbine to run a generator or use as a drive device, the only loss of energy is in heat loss from transmission pipes and other heat losing areas, the 970.3 latent heat is always the same.

Any other questions?
smiley23.gif

smiley19.gif
Teacher/Your Honor, could someone please call recess? My brain exploded over here and I need a break!

Latest posts

Back