Dissolving sugar in grape skin pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsmithcpa

Reaction score
So, my last kit, I stirred ad nauseum, several times over a 24 hour period, and still never seemed to get the sugar out of the grape skin pack.

For the next kit I was thinking about taking the 5 liter water addition and putting it in a stock pot with with the grape skin pack, and stirring it up that way... maybe warming it to help the sugar in the grape skin pack diffuse out of the pack... I'm sure there's some unforeseen consequence of this... anyone have any thoughts about it?

Why? You think it won't come out unless you assist it? The yeast will find any and all sugar without any help.

Why? You think it won't come out unless you assist it? The yeast will find any and all sugar without any help.
Yeah my question was kind of focused on the "why not?" but I figured someone would ask why, so I should have addressed it in my first inquiry... I know that the yeast will find the sugar in the mesh bag.

It's pretty much the same reason people (and the instructions too, I think) say to stir after adding the grape skin pack... The purpose would be to have a better idea just how much sugar is in the must at the start of fermentation, so I can make a more educated decision about whether to chaptalize, or not, and how much. It would also seem to give me better information for the purpose of calculating ABV at the end of fermentation. It seems like it would be an improvement to the process if it gives me better information about what I'm fermenting, as long as it doesn't have any unintended consequences... so that's the why. Anyone know any reason why not?

Yeah my question was kind of focused on the "why not?" but I figured someone would ask why, so I should have addressed it in my first inquiry... I know that the yeast will find the sugar in the mesh bag.

My purpose would be to have a better idea how much sugar is in the juice at the start of fermentation, so I can make a more educated decision about whether to chaptalize, or not, and how much. It Would also seem to give me better information for the purpose of calculating ABV at the end of fermentation. It seems like it would be an improvement to the process if it gives me better information about what I'm fermenting, as long as it doesn't have any unintended consequences... so that's the why. Anyone know any reason why not?
I share the same sentiment regarding wanting to know what my potential ABV is. Personally, I found that by squeezing the skin pack very well at the onset (but not pulverizing it!) and then stirring very well, I found a difference of up to 0.02 on my hydrometer.
Have you manually manipulated your skin pack? Or only stirred?

I share the same sentiment regarding wanting to know what my potential ABV is. Personally, I found that by squeezing the skin pack very well at the onset (but not pulverizing it!) and then stirring very well, I found a difference of up to 0.02 on my hydrometer.
Have you manually manipulated your skin pack? Or only stirred?
I only stirred previously. Your experience is helpful information - that might be why folks don't worry about this more... 0.02 isn't a very big delta. I wonder if it might be within the margin of error on ABV calculation anyway given all the other dissolved solids in the wine. I'll definitely at least try that this time and see what happens. :)

Many, many folks have posted here the ~ in SG when the grape pack was dropped in and then 24 hours later. The difference was minuscule and basically within the error bars of a $5 Hydrometer.

Many, many folks have posted here the ~ in SG when the grape pack was dropped in and then 24 hours later. The difference was minuscule and basically within the error bars of a $5 Hydrometer.
I'll try it and let you know how it shakes out. I think the .02 is actually a pretty big change... for some reason in my limited mental capacity during a CPA's busy season I wasn't calculating it out in my head correctly.

I do this myself and have found no need to warm the mixture.
I use a couple of half-gallon jars to split the pack into, top up with spring water.
I give it a shake and set them in the fridge for a few days.
A shake a day keeps the guesswork at bay!

I just free float the skins quick stir and all sugar is incorporated, then put a filter bag over the racking cane for the first racking, when all the liquid is racked put the skins into the filter bag and squeeze.

Latest posts

Back