displaced NY'er and Ontarioan in Northern middleTN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-9

Reaction score
Grapeman said to introduce myself. so here I am. I have 90 or 91 vines mostly for winemaking and 12 for table grapes. new to grape grower and winemaking.
Trying to use the least amount of chemicals or as organic as i can do it. Have a large garden too. That's about it.

K-9 is too modest. He has aquired quite a bit of knowledge in both grape growing and winemaking over the years as well as a host of other interests and so forth. Everyone please welcome him with open arms. Hopefully he will be more comfortable here on this forum than he had been getting over at the other forum lately.

Welcome, K-9! I'm also a transplant to Middle Tennessee. Glad to have you around!

Welcome to forum, K-9. Do I understand correctly that you have vines planted in Tennessee? What varieties do you have? I am not familiar with the math of vine yields. What yield in pounds could one expect from 90 or so mature vines?

I have vineyard as of 5/1/12

7 Vidal Blanc
48 foch
11 Marquette
12 corot noir
5 interlaken
4 reliance
3 lakemont

total 90 vines

78 wine vines

i had 18 chardonel and 10 dechaunac but pulled them and planted some more of the foch and also added the vidal blanc. black rot and zero harvest on the chardonel and dechaunac that was not impressive made me pull them.

Foch grows nicely - corot noir and marquette has bad black rot but i like the grapes.

a lot of problems here with BR and even bunch rot and also another disease - that escapes me after a long day of training.

hope this helps.

Oh - I am a big fan of Pinot noir but to try to grow it here would be rather a joke i am afraid so i do the best i can.

Welcome, K-9!

I'm curious how old your vines are before they yield a crop? I tried to grow a few vines a couple of years ago, but had no success. Although I will admit I don't have much of a green thumb. I've killed more blueberry bushes and (supposedly) hardy fig trees than I could tally up. About all I can grow is the necessary ingredients for salsa ;-)

Lon Rombough was a dear friend of mine. His death is a great loss. after much discussion he encouraged me to try to get full trunks and cordon arms in 1 year and the 2nd year to start with small crop and go from there. This year 47-48 of my 50 newly planted vines have full cordon arms and i am planning on a small harvest for next year. the few vines that were slow in development have a bit of light and site issues where they are loacted or they would have been ready too.

Last edited:
A couple of people asked about the K-9. I try hard to keep it separate and out of the winemaking stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks! for some reason the server seems to have issues today and pages load real slow and rendering takes a while to complete correctly. May have to call the company to check out the issue tomorrow. sucks. never had issues.

Latest posts

Back