Quantcast

Dismantling A Barrel

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
There’s a great YouTube video going through the whole process to do this at home actually. He’s actually a member here too. Will try to find it.

Trevor7

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Watching this only gave me more questions... I get sanding the staves and then toasting them, but the video didn't show anything done to the heads. Were these just left alone? Reasoning behind this?

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
IIRC nothing is done w/ the heads. But I could be wrong. This looks like a fun project, but seems like a LOT of work.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Traditionally barrel heads aren't toasted, though these days toasted heads are an option for a price.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Just yesterday I was talking to my son about reconditioning a barrel. I personally think it would be fun even though I'm looking forward to having some neutral barrels.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Do you have to toast the staves once you sand them all down?
Technically you don’t ‘have’ to. But I bet 100’s of yrs of trial n error has made it the standard for a good reason. And toasting adds so much more complexity than without.
But That open flame seems pretty easy to screw up doesn’t it? I always figured a plumbers torch could get the job done with some more control. Reconditioning an old barrel is definitely on my bucket list

Latest posts