Dish network. READ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use Dish but I am surprised that if they really were hacked why they did not put out some announcement and indeed why they would not be compelled to call out to their customers. There is also no obvious mention about a recent hacking of their network on Google. Is it possible that this information about a hack is more malicious than anything else (but I found nothing on Snopes about this claim either) and that, jralarms, your SiL was a victim of this malarky?

I don't use Dish but I am surprised that if they really were hacked why they did not put out some announcement and indeed why they would not be compelled to call out to their customers. There is also no obvious mention about a recent hacking of their network on Google. Is it possible that this information about a hack is more malicious than anything else (but I found nothing on Snopes about this claim either) and that, jralarms, your SiL was a victim of this malarky?

Possible that it is just a hoax, but look at Yahoo. They didn't publicly mention their hack for years.

I came up with the same as Bernard, as far as searching Google for any information. I know the recent Yahoo hacking, they put out a very wide bulletin shortly after finding out. Target was another company that comes to mind.
As large as Dish is, they would/should have done the same.

I would be contacting my SIL to find out where his information came from.

These days hacking of your PII is inevitable if your on the interwebs. Heck, even if your not it's inevitable. I have had my credit being monitored (for free no less) for the last 4 years. Target hack, (check), Home Depot hack, (check) OPM hack (check). The CC that I use to run all my bills through (as well as all online purchases) gets compromised about once every 14 months on average. I have the card set up to send me a text on every charge so I immediately know every time the card is used. Have not lost one penny from my bank account.

That hack occurred in 2013 or 2014 - they just started talking about it last fall. :sh

I stand corrected.

And I agree with Mike. It seems as long as you are breathing, and even if you aren't, you are very susceptible to being hacked.

That may be, but dish told my sil that the hack happened and no they didn't notify anyone.

That may be, but dish told my sil that the hack happened and no they didn't notify anyone.

wow! Ignorance is not bliss... it's blindness. If they knew they were hacked and if they think or know that customer identifying material was purloined then they owe it to their customers to forewarn them that others can make use of key data to steal and use their identities for all kinds of reasons only one of which is to directly steal money and or property from them.. But I guess I am still a wee bit skeptical (it runs in my Scottish blood) that there is apparently no mention of this hacking on any social medium... Did they swear customers to secrecy?

Just remember that while there are laws on the books in ~47 States regarding companies and hacking and that customers must be informed of the hacking in a "timely fashion" The laws also state that if the company is working with law enforcement to try and track down the hackers they are not required to make any public statements to customers until such point that the investigation is complete or at a dead end. If this was "inside information" that leaked out somehow you may not have an official release for months.

Last edited:
Just remember that while there are laws on the books in ~47 States regarding companies and hacking and that customers must be informed of the hacking in a "timely fashion" The laws also state that if the company is working with law enforcement to try and track down the hackers they are not required to make any public statements to customers until such point that the investigation is complete or at a dead end. If this was "inside information" that leaked out somehow you may not have an official release for months.

Oh it was an inside job. Had to be. I can see getting your info, but the guy who called even had their "customer checklist

Latest posts

Back