Disease identification

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by MBRedline, May 21, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. May 21, 2019 #1

MBRedline

MBRedline

MBRedline

Junior

Hello all,

Thanks so much for a place to learn so much about the vineyard process!

Backstory: I purchased a home 2 years ago with 4 vines in the back yard, largest one about 2.5 inches in diameter at the base. I have no idea what type of grape they are or any information as to how they were planted or anything else.

I really want to get them producing! I am a complete novice to grapes, but I did learn last season the I have to deal with japanese beatles and what I think was black rot.

After researching black rot, i pruned all the vines back very far this past winter. And got rid of all mummies. I then bought some liquid copper fungicide, Seven pesticides, and beetle bags.

I have been using seven, and liquid copper weekly since the first shoots were about 12 inches long.

The beetles haven't started yet, and everything looked great (to my eyes) till the last week. The berries that were starting, are beginning to disappear and the leaves have brown spots.

I am in central Virginia, the weather was quite rainy two weeks ago and has since been 70+°f

I am posting a link to some pictures. (They are to large to attach)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GiaKdX84ejRujQBy9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. I appologize if this info is obtainable via the search bar, but I dont even know what to search for. Please forgive me in advance.

2. May 22, 2019 #2

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

I don't see anything too severe in your pictures. I would say don't spray for Japanese beetles until they show up. Most of us use Mancozeb or Dithane until 65 days prior to harvest. I use Mancozeb and micronized sulfur together with a sticker, but some varieties of grapes are sensitive to sulfur. Lots of rain when the berries are blossoming can effect fruit set pollination in a negative way. It's called shatter.

MBRedline likes this.
  3. May 22, 2019 #3

MBRedline

MBRedline

MBRedline

Junior

Hey thanks so much for your reply, I will look into the two products you suggested!

As a follow up here is another pic just one day after the first.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zgHPKLBKvPb9uRPv5

Seems like it has gotten much worse really quick. I'm just afraid it's all going to go really quick (which is what happened last season)

Thanks so much for your help!

4. May 22, 2019 #4

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

looks like black rot convert spraying with Mancozeb. also wait for Japanese beetles show but I always used Sevin in my spay mix all of the time. when beetles showed spayed right away regardless of cycle

MBRedline likes this.
  5. May 22, 2019 #5

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Be sure you use a sticker spreader, and spray the undersides and trunks as well, all the way to the ground..

MBRedline likes this.
  6. May 22, 2019 #6

MBRedline

MBRedline

MBRedline

Junior

Wow, guys thanks so much for your responses!!

I just did some searching and my understanding is a 'sticker' is an additive to help herbicide, fungicide, etc work better???
    Is that correct?

Sorry again for my complete ignorance on the subject.

Next question is does anyone know if local Lowes or Homedepot would carry mancozeb and sticker in store? Or will I need to order online?

Thanks so much again!!

7. May 23, 2019 #7

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

I don't think big box stores carry Mancozeb. Some specialty gardening centers do. Spreader/sticker is pretty readily available.

MBRedline likes this.