Disease/distress Identification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh D

Junior
Reaction score
I have 24 Mars vines in year 3. Years 1 and 2 went smoothly. Couple blackrot spots controlled by fungicide and Japanese beatles were my only threats.

This year I have an odd problem. Shoots are producing smaller leaves, rough/wavy to the touch, and with a downward curl. On many, the tips are browning, drying, and crumbling. There is no discoloration. No pointed deformity like with 2,4d. No evidence of rot.

Bud break was 4 weeks ago. We had 2 weeks of monsoon like weather, and consistent rain every few days since. Temps 50-80F this whole time. My soil is mostly clay, but I worked in about a cubic foot of good soil per plan when planting. Vine rows have four inches of natural mulch.

I'll post pictures this evening. Please help!
Josh

The mulch was just laid this spring. Im on crutches till Monday so I havent spread it out, evened it just yet. I don't know if the mulch could cause this so fast. Mulch is free tree shredding from a local tree removal service. 20190514_184259.jpg 20190514_184250.jpg 20190514_184245.jpg 20190513_184952.jpg 20190513_191522.jpg

Wonder if there was some herbicide/insecticide sprayed on the tree at some point and then it (the tree) didn't make it so was cut down, mulched, gave away for free but you also got more than you wanted.

Wonder if there was some herbicide/insecticide sprayed on the tree at some point and then it (the tree) didn't make it so was cut down, mulched, gave away for free but you also got more than you wanted.

Tree was my uncle's. Never sprayed. Cut doen because it was too close to the powerline.

It kind of resembles rust mite damage. Ive never had that in 8 years here. Would surprise me to suddenly have it in all 24 vines at once.

Knowing the history of the tree/mulch is good. Any visible sign of mites? To me it looks like herbicide damage of sorts. Any chance of wind blown from a neighbor?

it looks like herbicide damage. it can be airborne over three miles and affect your grapes. just let it grow out thats all you can do.

Unlikely on the herbicide. None of my neighbors use any. I have a woods behind my home.

I had 2,4d damage on one vine two years ago. My fault. The effects of 2,4d are easily identifiable. I haven't experienced glyphosate or dicamba damage before. But doesn't look like photos I see online.

I haven't inspected closely for mites under a microscope. But I don't see any evidence of a pest like holes, eggs, weird textures, residues, etc. My experience with pests is it's a spotty problem, hit or miss which leaves or vines are affected. 100% of my shoots across 24 vines are affected which keeps leading me back to the mulch or other environmental issue.

I planted 12 Marquette this year, just now blooming. I will know soon if they are also affected. If it's the mulch, they will have it too. Right?

I'm going to apply sulfer to one shoot of one vine. Mars is a concord variant, so it's not recommended. So I'll try one vine and see if it helps.

it looks like herbicide damage. it can be airborne over three miles and affect your grapes. just let it grow out thats all you can do.

Ideas on which one? If that's the case and it's long range drift that's tough. Not much I can do.

Might be a clue if whatever tree has something in the bark/mulch that doesn't play well with others when it starts to decompose. Looks pretty fresh in the pics.

I think it's doubtful it has anything to do with the mulch. I mulch my vines exactly like you and have never had a problem. To me it looks like airborne herbicide damage. Like someone said maybe from three miles away. Grapes are highly sensitive in ppm. All US agricultural material is contaminated. Have you applied any compost or manure? I trust wood chips over compost or manure. I think your vines will grow out of it. Nitrogen gas can do this as well. Are you near corn fields?

I'd be curious about the type of tree that was mulched. Before I planted my vines I had to remove some Black Walnut trees that are nearby. Black Walnuts produce a large amount of Juglone which is a natural herbicide. I've only read a little about that Juglone may be toxic to grapes, so certain varieties may be more resistant than others. In my yard there are no walnut trees that have any vitis riparia vines near them. If riparia can't handle it, then I don't think other varieties can. Other types of trees produce juglone as well, it's just black walnuts produce more than any other type of tree I've read about.

It's possible that "walnut wilt" or something similar to it is affecting the vines.

the three mile herbicide is 2,4,D. also on the /Black Walnut, I made the mistake of planting within the root zone of a black maple and all of my grapes dies. the mulch maybe the culprit. I would not subject any other part of vinyard util you get an answer.

The wrinkled leaves look like they could be leafroll virus. The upward cupping in the second to last pic looks similar to dicamba damage. Those are my votes anyway.

H

About four or five years ago, I scored two dump truck loads of course sawdust from a nearby sawmill. A lot of it was from black walnut. I had absolutly no issues using it on all of my grapes over a couple of seasons. I tried a short row, before I went full bore on it. Wish I could get that deal again, as most of it has broke down to soil now!

I do know that some plants react to walnut, but I had no problems with it!

Aren't we all over the map. So much to rule out.

About four or five years ago, I scored two dump truck loads of course sawdust from a nearby sawmill. A lot of it was from black walnut. I had absolutly no issues using it on all of my grapes over a couple of seasons. I tried a short row, before I went full bore on it. Wish I could get that deal again, as most of it has broke down to soil now!

I do know that some plants react to walnut, but I had no problems with it!

My understanding with Walnut is that the Hydrojuglone on dead trees/scraps will dissipate with time and exposure to the elements. A live tree, or one that has recently died as well as the husks of the nuts them selves have high concentrations of the toxin. I waited 2 years to plant near the old walnut stumps. I don't specifically recall the source, but I recall reading that if I were to use it for mulch I would need to store it away from the vineyard for a year before it could be used.

Latest posts

Back