Disassembling a floor corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, if you don't have it yet and have time to bring it over maybe the two of us with mine opened can figure out the problem.

May take you up on that, Fred. Thanks. Haven't had a chance to fiddle with it again but hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. With new job and baseball starting this week, life just got busy again. :D

I'm following this thread intently -- my Italian corker is 30 years old, I can see rust on the steel under the jaws. I've been afraid to tear it apart, in case I can't get it back together.

Once last year's wine is all bottled, I may chance it. That will give me 9 to 12 months to get it working again.

Last edited:
I failed to get to it over the weekend. Still anxious to try again though. It just looks so nice after the cleaning and paint job...

I'm following this thread intently -- my Italian corker is 30 years old, I can see rust on the steel under the jaws.
My Italian corker has rusted under the jaws. I have it apart and trying to decide how to proceed. I think clean it up, sand as best I can and paint with food grade paint. I'm sure the paint will wear off again. Any better ideas? I think I made it worse with spraying with Star San when bottling. I bought this used in 2019 so I think the rust was starting before my usage.

I know it will be a PIA to reassemble but the rust was coming off on my finger and I was afraid to continue using on wine.

Thanks Fred. I was actually able to adjust mine when it was off center. As I sand, I think I may be able to paint the worst area (the little well where the cork sits and keep it fairly rust free. (My phone is dying so I can't load pictures. The new phone is delayed in Richmond due to the Mid Atlantic snow drop.)

I hope the trick will be to keep it dry in the future. No wet corks.

I know it will be a PIA to reassemble but the rust was coming off on my finger and I was afraid to continue using on wine.
I wad up a paper towel wet with K-meta and run it through the corker, then a dry one. First one comes out a bit stained, the second one doesn't. Never having done it before, you might have to do it several times to eliminate the rust that is transferred.

I'll do that after I get the rust off and I paint. I was wadding up a paper towel and running through but I was getting too much rust to suit me.

I have the same issue, I am thinking that I will start to rinse the corks in K-Meta solution then dump them on a stack of paper towels and gently roll them dry, this way I am putting less moisture through the corker

I have the same issue, I am thinking that I will start to rinse the corks in K-Meta solution then dump them on a stack of paper towels and gently roll them dry, this way I am putting less moisture through the corker

Rather than soaking those corks for any amount of time search for corkidor, which I may have misspelled. Basically, put some kmeta solution in the bottom of the bucket, suspend the corks in some manner above the liquid, no need to get them wet, let the sulfur fumes do their job.

Rather than soaking those corks for any amount of time search for corkidor, which I may have misspelled. Basically, put some kmeta solution in the bottom of the bucket, suspend the corks in some manner above the liquid, no need to get them wet, let the sulfur fumes do their job.
You can make one with a few old buckets. Put holes in bottom of one. Put your meta in the solid one. If needed put something in the bottom to give a little elevation off the meta. Put corks in the top one with the holes and place in the solid one. Put on the top and let the fumes do their job.

Latest posts

Back