Difference between kit instruction SG and hydrometer reading?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skyfire, I'm sure you're concerned about 'off' flavors from the lees. If you haven't moved to secondary yet, you should do it today as planned. If what you're planning today is clearing and adding K-Meta and sorbate, personally I would push the pause button. Under an airlock, your kit can literally sit in secondary for a couple of months if need be - even with headspace. There's enough CO2 coming out of the wine to protect it from O2. You want it to ferment dry.

All of my early wine kit attempt are sweet. And, I came about it honestly by following the kit timeline instructions. Now, I double (even triple in some cases) the timeline and I have had no difficulty with the finished product. I've made close to 100 kits now with great success by adding more time to the equation.

Thanks :) I mainly just want to get it off the gross lees. I assume not to add k-meta?

This is just a hypothetical question, but if after, say the next couple days after secondary and the SG is still the same, is there anything I can try to get that final push?
1.001 is almost totally dry already, the amount of sugar is to the point of being imperceptible.

Latest posts

Back