Didn't follow instructions; now what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Junior
Reaction score
I brewed a cellar craft showcase kit last fall, racked it after about 10 days and forgot about it. I should have added fining agents and degassed a long time ago but obviously I didn't.

What should I do now? Do I add the kmeta and proceed as normal? I would normally use a drill to whip my wine, but now I'm afraid of oxidation.

Any suggestions?

Without knowing any more, I suggest.

Add 1/4 tsp mixed with half cup water, or other wine, to empty sanitized carboy.

Rack your wine into the new carboy leaving the sediment behind.

Degass with whip as needed.

Add fining agents if the wine isn't clear already.

Add another 1/4 tsp kmeta

Top up.

It seems that there isn't a lot of gas coming out of solution as I stir it. Is it possible that much of the c02 has made its way out in only 2 months?

Not in my experience. If the wine is cold it will hold onto the gas tighter.

Edit: the residual CO2 in the wine was your friend in this case. The more there is of it bound to the wine the less room there is for oxygen to bind and oxidize it.

Last edited:
I would rack and hit it with k-meta. I'm thinking you have a good chance of it being ok. Did you taste it?

I would rack and hit it with k-meta. I'm thinking you have a good chance of it being ok. Did you taste it?

No. I haven't tasted it, but I'm not worried about that. It's been sealed and the c02 layer hasn't been disturbed. I'm just not sure how much degassing I should be doing. If too much c02 has come out, I may risk introducing o2. Perhaps the kmeta will do its job and protect the wine. In any event, I've added it and racked and I'm continuing to degas for a bit .

About the only issue I can think of that you might have is IF a lot of dead yeast was left in the wine after the racking. Without seeds, skins, dead yeast or some other source of off tastes, it should be fine.
What was the SG when you racked and forgot it (And what is it now?)
IF you added any Campden or K-Meta when you racked it, it should be fine since it was sealed/airlocked.

Leaving CO2 in there is not a problem as long as you get it out before you bottle it. HSO2 is another matter but CO2 is just the same as carbonation but with wine (Other than sparkling wine) should be have the CO2 removed before bottling.

No. I haven't tasted it, but I'm not worried about that. It's been sealed and the c02 layer hasn't been disturbed. I'm just not sure how much degassing I should be doing. If too much c02 has come out, I may risk introducing o2. Perhaps the kmeta will do its job and protect the wine. In any event, I've added it and racked and I'm continuing to degas for a bit .

Your not worried about that? The whole point of this hobby is the taste. Taste it, it should be ok but who knows. The only way to find out what is going on is to taste it.
If every thing is OK - I expect it will be, then add the kmeta. The advice you get here is good but the most important thing about the wine is the taste.

Seriously the process is fairly robust, but it must be monitored. That is where the fun is. How else can you justify tasting wine at 10.00am:h.

I didn't mean that I don't care about taste. What I meant was that I didn't expect it to taste bad. And yes, I tasted it, and it is fine. My issue was whether or not I'd infuse it with o2 because I had left it for so long. Active fermentation helps keep 02 out because the wine is releasing co2. The instructions are timed with this in mind so if you veer from them you have to know what you're doing. I usually follow the instructions for this reason but put myself in uncharted territory by not following the rules. I think it'll turn out fine. I've sealed it up now to age it for a few months before bottling. If I've oxidized it I'll know then. My guess is it'll be ok. Thanks for the help folks. I'll report back at bottling time.

Latest posts

Back